First MTC Weekend

Friday was about as eventful as the previous day, but similar and therefore boring in terms of stories. Saturday was the our first preparation day, or P-day for short. Unfortunately, because we had only been in the MTC for half a week, we were only given half a day for our P-day.

We woke up at the same normal time of 6:30 a.m. because even though it's a more relaxing day, we were supposed to still start it early in the morning. So we woke up and I mosied on into the showers and began the day in a slight daze, like I had since entering the MTC. We didn't have to get dressed in our white shirts and ties today though, so that was nice.

We wandered over to the back entrance of the cafeteria building and got our sack-lunch style breakfast. The buildings were all consecrated, so we weren't allowed in them without having been dressed in our white shirts and ties. It was weird to think we were only allowed into our dorm rooms without being dressed in suits. The breakfast was still technically our choice, but the choices weren't quite as extensive as it would have been had we gone inside. It still was a good meal though.

After breakfast. we wrote letters to family or friends that had sent us letters over the past three days. I didn't really take addresses with me, so I didn't have much to write because we would be doing emails to our family later. There was a service from DearElder.com that allowed people to send letters to their missionaries for free while at the MTC. They print at the mail office as if it was an email you printed off, but it didn't take as long as mail. I had received a few of those since being there, but they were all from family and I figured the fastest way for me to respond was through email.

The eight of us elders just hung out for our half P-day in the dorm rooms. We did laundry and then finally got dressed up to go do emails. After emails, our P-day was over. It was time to go to class and act like I was starting to understand French again.

The next day was Sunday. The day of rest, or so I thought. We woke up at the same time as always and headed to our classroom. I had only been in the MTC for four days, and one of those days is only a half day, but it seemed like I had been here forever. The class greeted each other in the usual groggy, not exciting way as every other day that we had to be there. Then we started our studies.

We then went to Sacrament meeting, which was all in French. The branch presidency all spoke in French and then we had the prayers and everything in French. The branch presidency even called two people from the crowd to give a short talk in French. We were told beforehand to prepare a five minute talk just in case, but it wasn't likely to be anyone from our district for awhile.

After Sacrament meeting, the sisters went to Relief Society while the elders went to Priesthood. This was in English because the branch presidency had to actually teach a lesson and they weren't actually that good at French.

Sunday was a tough day because the teachers didn't come in and teach at all throughout the day, so it was a day of studying, going to church, and eating. That is, until 6 p.m. We were ushered off to the gym building around 5:45.

"What are we doing standing out in the cold?" I asked as we sat there in the brisk October weather. I obviously was not happy being from sunny St. George. We were in a giant line and had no idea why.

"There's a devotional every Sunday," Sister Wiseman said. "It could be anyone that shows up, maybe even the prophet." The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes not only in the Book of Mormon as another testament of Jesus Christ and more scripture, but also in a living prophet. President Thomas S. Monson is the prophet and leads the church through the guidance of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

"Really? You think that we are just that lucky that the first Sunday we are here, the prophet would show up?" I asked with sarcasm and contempt in my voice.

"You never know, that would be really cool," Sister Wiseman responded.

"Yeah, but I doubt that he would be here."

Finally, the line started moving and we filed into the gym, but it looked totally different. There were chairs all set up and they were starting to fill up fast. There were only so many places for people to sit. If you didn't get a seat here, there was an overflow in the classroom buildings.

'Maybe it is the prophet coming,' I thought as we filed in and sat in the stadium seating rather than in the seats on the floor. 'That would be awesome.'

It wasn't long before everyone realized that the stadium seats were not the best quality.

"Man, these seats are not comfortable at all," Elder Shumway said.

"Yeah, I can't get comfortable at all in this seat," Elder Livingston replied.

There was no more that needed to be said. They were uncomfortable and way too close to the people sitting in front of you.

It wasn't President Monson that showed up either. His name is Elder Stephen B. Allen. He is the executive producer for church-made films like "Mr. Krueger's Christmas," "Man's Search for Happiness," and "Together Forever."

He was hilarious and told tons of jokes. He was a lot of fun to listen to. He also became an area Seventy in the Church the next year.

After the fireside, we had the option to go watch one of five church-made films. We all decided to stay in the room we were in and watch "Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration." We did move down onto the floor though to have a better, more comfortable seat.

"Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration" is a film about the life of Joseph Smith and how he reestablished Christ's church on the Earth. It goes through the good times and rough times of his life. Joseph was put in prison without accusation or guilt many times and suffered many things along with the Saints at that time. He went through trials and afflictions that not many people will ever face. He was a great man who just was doing what he felt and knew to be right.

In the Church, members are given the chance to bear their testimonies every month during Sacrament meeting. Generally there are plenty of times for a member to bear a testimony outside this also. I have a huge testimony of Joseph Smith and the book which he translated by the power of God; the book we now call the Book of Mormon. Just from reading the book, one can see it is true and full of good and comforting things. The last prophet to write in the book is named Moroni, he lived around 400 A.D., and he wrote that anyone who reads this book and asks if it is true or not, will receive their answer from God. I testify that this is true and God will hear and answer your prayers. He will tell you by a feeling in your heart that the Book of Mormon is true.

After watching the film and struggling to not tear up watching all of Joseph's trials and tribulations, we went back and went to bed. Tomorrow will start my first full week of life in the MTC.