2: Figures

So it's been about a week since I've seen Daniel. He's been out of school since his dog passed. But he's taking it really hard, harder than I had expected. Today after school though my mom and I are going to discuss the new puppy with them. But I'm still not sure why his mom had told me to "be grateful" the way she had. She seemed so serious that I wonder if I'm not part of the reason Daniel is acting this way. All I've been was a good friend to him, I shared stories with him, snacks, hugs. I've always been there as well as his dog. Maybe there's something he's not telling me, or his mom wanted to tell me but I'm unsure of the outcome from today as well. It could be good or bad. But hopefully he'll look better and healthier.

....
So my mom and I are on our way to his house to discuss the puppy. We thought we should get one that bears a little resemblance to his previous one. So as we arrived we noticed the house was gaunt in a way. Almost as if no one was home, which is unusual for Daniels family, his mom is a stay at home parent while his dad does real estate and office work. He is an only child. But I've never seen his house look so bare. As we pulled in the drive I did see someone looking through the window but I couldn't make out who it was. So we got out and headed up the steps to the door. I rang the door bell and we waited. As we did we heard footsteps and walking and slight mumbling, I thought I could make out Daniels voice. His mom finally answered the door and looked as if she had been crying, my heart sank. I thought something really bad had happened. Then I smiled because Daniel came down the stairs, he didn't look sick anymore but he looked like he was upset too. My mom pulled me aside and asked me to go to Daniels room and talk to him about how he's been. Which I did, but she acted like she know something that I didn't, like there was something going on between the her and his mom, or someone.
So I walked in and went to him and he hugged me, not one of our normal hugs, but a tight one, like he was longing for a hug this whole time. I returned the favor of course and hugged him back. Then he started crying again. So i asked him if he'd like to go to his room. He agreed and we went. Our mothers went to the dining room and started talking in low voices so I couldn't hear; but I could hear his mother crying again too. And I knew something bad was going on bc his mother always looked so happy.
....
We got to his room and he was telling me about how he's been doing. Which was good of course but he kept crying while trying to talk to me. I felt bad but I didn't wanna ask too many questions. I was curious as to why he was so upset as well as his mother. I had the note with me too, I almost thought about giving it to him to see if his mood would change but then again I didn't wanna upset him more. But I couldn't take seeing him upset, it's hard to understand a situation if you don't know why or what's going on. So I just ended up asking him why he was crying, and when he finally told me, I was shaken as well. " my parents don't love eachother anymore, they're getting a divorce and I have to decide who I live with, but it's hard bc I don't wanna leave you or my mom. You've been there for me when I needed you. I can't leave that behind over my dads stupidity."
My heart stopped, basically he just professed his love to me. He just said I mean more to him than I thought.