So This is Love? Bakudeku

Bakudeku soulmate au

---

Izuku always thought love was unconditional. Love was the forehead kisses and supportive hugs from his mother on a bad day, or perhaps love was the way she always made him a delicious dinner without fail. Maybe love was even how she kept buying him All Might merchandise, regardless of how much he already had. Then, if all that was love, how was this love?

They were only four, how were that supposed to know what love was? No, it wasn't real love. It couldn't be.

But that mark on his right shoulder was very, very real.

A soulmate mark.

Who would have known that despite knowing each other so long, they had never really touched until now. Bakugou would always dodge his hugs and affection, but he had instigated the contact this time. He couldn't deny that his hand had touched Deku's shoulder.

Bakugou's hand had fit it just perfectly. The aggressive young boy had grabbed him by the shoulder threateningly, spewing hateful words about his lack of a quirk, and yet his skin danced with colors in such a positive response.

Bakugou Katsuki was his soulmate.

The other boys hand swirled with colors to match Izuku's, further proving their undeniable fateful connection.

"No!" Bakugou screamed, his voice quivering with anger, "you just have to ruin everything Deku!" And with that, he ran off.

Izuku stood there in the sandbox at the park. Confusion, loneliness, and regret filled his mind.

He had discovered his soulmate and lost him within the same five minutes.

A single tear streamed down his face and he ran to find his mother. "What's wrong, sweetheart?" She asked tenderly, setting down her book she had been reading as he played. The simple question alone cause the dams in the young boy's eyes to burst, salty tears flowing like waterfalls.

"Hes... hes... Bakugou is my soulmate! And he hates me!"

Inko felt nothing but empathy and sadness for her little boy. She knew what it was like to have a soulmate not love you back. Her mind trailed to the night Izuku's father had left, but she shook the thoughts away.

"It's okay, baby, we'll figure it out, okay?" She pulled him into her lap, playing with his hair soothingly to calm his crying. "Do you want to head home to the day?"

Izuku only nodded, fearing his voice would break with the amount of tension in his throat if he were to use it.

Year's went by and Izuku had fully accepted that he would never have love. Bakugou had bullied him relentlessly, never letting anyone find out about their secret otherworldly connection. He cursed in the name of fate, while Izuku only wanted to embrace it. The two would have never worked out.

It had been several months since they had started high school at UA, and they had both grown both physically and mentally. Bakugou questioned his soulmate, considering if perhaps there really was something between them. Maybe he could- no. He couldn't go back to that nerd.

But that was before, and this is now.
This was the present. This was actually happening. The boy Bakugou had teased so relentlessly was lying unconscious before him in a hospital bed. He couldn't even bring himself to explode, he couldn't do anything except stare. His childhood best friend, no, his soulmate had slipped into a coma after a villain attack.

"Darnit, Deku! For once you could have not ruined something! For once, I agreed with you!" He screamed to the unresponsive body of his potential life partner. "Just... please, wake up. Wake up!" He clung to the smaller hand, grasping it as if his life depended on it.