Prologue - Bus Stop

• Dedicated to Alanna Doyle

||"We found wonderland. You and I got lost in it and we pretended it could last forever."||

The sun had yet to rise and as you stood there at the bus stop, a shiver ran down your spine as you tried to keep warm. Long stretches of plains and cornfields surrounded you as you looked down the dark highway, hoping that the bus would arrive. It was the last bus you had to take before you could actually get back to home, back to the good old state of (y/s). It was six in the morning, basically in the middle of nowhere, and your dufflebag was dropped carelessly on the ground by your feet. There were a couple of streetlights nearby that lit up the area, but that made you feel more exposed than safe.

You stared into the distance, into the shadows where the light did not reach, and your mind started to wander. A sense of paranoia had enveloped your heart. Being stuck outside in the middle of autumn was not an ideal situation for you, but it wasn’t the cold you were worried about. Your eyes never left the darkness that seemed to congregate around the dimly lit street lamps, so thick it seemed as though it could suffocate the light into nothingness. Things that lurked in the dark had scared you as a child; ghosts, demons, werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires...the list was neverending. But now your fear was heightened even more so...now that you knew that every single monster you were afraid of are all real.

Every single one of them.

A part of you wished you were back in the motel you had just been in the night before, safe and sound. Safe because you had someone to protect you, someone to take care of you. Safe because every night you slept in the same bed as Dean Winchester, wrapped up in his arms and sheltered from the dangers of the supernatural. A small smile formed on your lips at the thought of him and for a moment you found happiness. But that quickly faded away when you realised that you weren’t going to see him ever again.

You plopped yourself down on the ground by your dufflebag and let out a heavy sigh. You knew this was going to be for the best, but that didn’t make it hurt any less. It did not stop your heart from aching and it surely did not stop you from tearing up again. It would be very cliche to say that he was your first true love...but he was. Your mind went from worrying about monsters in the dark to wishing Dean was by your side again. You thought back to all the time you spent with him and all the things you did together. And as the tears collected at the corners of your eyes, you smiled once more because you were happy that at least you were lucky enough to meet someone as wonderful as him.