Memory One: Green Tea Lattes

• Dedicated to Linkha Escobar

You were barely halfway through your shift and you were already bored out of your mind. Working in a coffee shop originally had been fun and fast paced, hectic enough to keep you busy and mentally engaged. But as of late you wished you could just stay in bed and indulge yourself upon limitless hours of Netflix and eating macaroni and cheese. The job had become routine and boring, the customers were becoming increasingly annoying with their nitpicky requests and inability to possess basic manners. Every morning you forced a smile on your face and told yourself you were going to have a good day, after all your attitude made up a big factor on how the day would progress. But it didn't seem to be that effective, and today was not any different.

After dealing with yet another customer who demanded a free refill even after you told them multiple times that it was against store policy, you eyed the clock in anticipation. Your break was going to start in ten minutes and you could not wait for it any longer. Thankfully, the lunch rush hour was starting to die down a little bit. You looked around the coffee shop, making sure everything was in order and tended to when you heard the door open and the little bell go off. It was hard for you not to grimace or let out an audible sigh, but you turned to the front counter and managed to produce your best smile.

"Hello!" You said in a friendly tone, brushing your (h/c) hair out of your eyes. "Welcome to..." Your voice trailed off as you saw the new customer approach you from the other side of the counter. "To...here..."

"Here?" He raised an eyebrow at you and chuckled. "That's an interesting name for a place like this, thank you."

You mentally slapped yourself for succeding at being awkward once again, but you tried to laugh off his response in an attempt to save face. The man who stood before you was not a regular, you would have recognised him even if he had stopped by once before. You lived in a rather small town so it was not hard to remember faces. He did not seem to be a typical customer at any coffee shop at all, really, let alone this one. The types of people that frequented your shop were usually businessmen on their way to meetings, college students working on group projects, and hipster teenagers who wanted a unique place to hang out. This man did not fit into any of those categories. He was different, he was more...

Rugged? You thought to yourself, looking at his jeans and earth coloured jacket. It was honestly throwing you off, but at the same time you weren't complaining because he just happened to be attractive as well. Before you even realised how intently you had been eyeing him, he rested his elbows on the counter and smiled up at you, "Are you checking me out, (y/n)?"

Your (e/c) eyes widened in confusion, "How do you know my name?"

The smile never left his face as he reached out with a hand and tapped the name tag that was pinned to your uniform. You looked down at it. "Oh..." At this point there was no point in trying to save face. You messed up twice in under a minute and he was clearly amused by it. Your face was hot, you knew you were blushing but you still hoped in vain that he wouldn't notice. "What would you like today, sir?" You muttered.

"A green tea latte, please," he answered almost instantly. "Medium. To go."

A green tea latte? You gave him a look, though most certainly not on purpose. It was none of your business what he wanted to order, but it was not every day you met a man who wanted to drink something usually associated with girly teenagers. You slowly reached for the medium sized cup and a marker. He leaned in a bit closer to you and in a low voice said, "Guilty pleasure of mine, okay? Don't tell anyone."

At this you smiled and let out a playful scoff, nodding. "I won't. May I have your name?"

"Dean," he replied. You repeated it back to him for confirmation and started to write it onto the cup. "You can have my number along with that, if you want," he added.

You had barely written the first half of his name down, caught off guard completely with his random statement. Your gaze came up from the cup and you stared at him, silent. Anyone else would have thought you to be aloof, but your eyes gave it all away. "Excuse me?" You said, not sure if you even heard him correctly to begin with.

He merely winked at your reaction and dropped some cash on the counter before walking away to wait for his order. Your eyes trailed him as he moved further away from you. When he disappeared around the corner, you let out a sigh of relief and finished scribbling his name on the cup before handing it off to the actual barista.

You leaned over the counter to look for him. You saw him standing by the counter by his lonesome, observing his surroundings and reading labels for coffee packages. He had an aura about him, one of extremely high self confidence; but there was something else about him. There was a sweet undertone to everything he said and did.

I wonder if he was being serious about the phone number thing... You wondered. A part of you wanted to take him up on that offer but you were also to hesitant to do so. He could have been joking, a lot of guys say things like that for the sake of flirting. Your heart dropped a little as you decided to let it go. You didn't want to risk making a fool out of yourself again.

Turning away from him, you went back to working and decided to push him away from your mind.