Ten

Chapter Ten

We scheduled my first photoshoot a week from now since I'm on my period. It makes me moody and feel bloated so that's not the time I want to be taking a bunch of photos and moving around a lot. I already do that enough at work. Which, speaking of, I should probably get ready for work. Considering I took last night off, I want to get there a little earlier so that I can relieve the second shift server in hopes I can make a little extra money.

As soon as I finish applying my make-up, I grab my keys and head straight to work. I get thee an hour before my scheduled shift, and the place is empty. With a sigh, I walk head inside and go straight to the back room, where Naomi is talking on the phone. She smiles at me and pulls it away from her ear so she can say something to me. "Hey, you're early!"

I tie my apron around my waist. "I came early to see if you wanted me to go ahead and relieve you."

Naomi instantly wraps her arms around me with a huge grin. "That would be great. Thank you so much."

Before I can tell her it's no problem, she's already heading out front while untying her apron. I roll my eyes and grab my ticket book and several pens before walking into the kitchen to grab a few fries. The second shift cook ignores me as he cleans his grill off, and because he didn't put enough oil on it, it makes a loud screeching noise. And let me tell you. It's the worst sound possibly for your ears.

Naomi is already gone, and there's one table out that she must have either forgotten about or didn't care to stay around and wait for. I stop by to make sure they don't need anymore refills or anything else. When I know they're okay, I check to see if all the salt, pepper, sugar and napkin containers are filled. Sometimes Naomi has a habit of purposely forgetting about them because she doesn't want to do them.

For the most part, they're done. There are just two or three I have to refill.

Within the next fifteen minutes, the table cashes out and two more walk in. They're fairly simple tables, not much I have to do to check on them. They come and go, and so far, with the table Naomi left me, I made twenty-five dollars. I go to the back to wash all my dishes, and as I finish up, Luis and Isabelle show up.

I don't say anything them as more people file in. Isabelle and I immediately go take care of our tables. And as the second hour slowly goes by, the restaurant fills up. I can't remember a time that we've been this busy at the beginning of a shift before. But it's okay, because I need the money.

Tonight is one of those rare nights where all my tables are making jokes with me, and I make them laugh when little comments. It makes tonight a lot easier despite the fact that we're busy. It's not stressful. Luis is knocking the food out with no problems. Isabelle and I help each other out with pre-bussing each other's tables. The rush dies down at about three. As of right now, I have one table, and I'm currently standing beside it with my hand on my waist, tray under my arm, laughing uncontrollably at the drunk couple making a fool of themselves.

Rolling my eyes, I tell them I'll be right back so that I can use the restroom. When I make it back to the table, the man has his credit card ready to pay, but the woman is trying to snatch it out of his hands. She's practically leaning over the table, and before I can tell her she's about to knock over the cup of coffee, her elbows hits it. It falls off the table, glass shattering everywhere, and I have to take a step back.

"See, you asshole! If you'd just let me pay, I wouldn't have knocked over that cup."

"Susan," he scolds. "A woman never pays for a date."

"This wasn't a date though!"

Then they both turn to face me, and I just blink. "Tell him a woman is allowed to pay for things," she says at the same time he says, "Woman are not allowed to pay for a man."