Chapter 70

€=>€=> I'm the kinda G the little homies wanna be, like on my knees in the night saying prayers in the street lights. Been spending most of their life livin' in a gangsters paradise..... Coolio €=>€=>
***************************
Oscar
******
Taking the ear piece Lex hands me, I try to calm my nerves. Lex and Chris will go in, while the rest of us has orders to wait until we here 'the words'. All fine and well except for the fact that I'd rather go in with them than it be just the two of them. Our new friends from New York take the front. Standing in the gravel parking lot, pretending to be hanging out. No one from these parts have ever seen any of their faces before, they should go unnoticed so long as they mingle with the crowd. Which seems to be working so far. While I, Pauly, Seth, and Toe stay hidden in the bush at the back. Two women smoke a cigarette at the back door. Both giggling and totally oblivious that they are being watched. Lex and Chris sneak back through the woods back to the car. They will drive around the block and then head inside the den. For now, we wait. I think this is the worst part. The waiting. Carefully, I sit down beside Seth. He lights up a blunt and we pass it around. The four of us, never having imagined that we would be out here in this position right now. Sure, we always wanted to be badasses like Lex and Chris but now that the opportunity is here, we're all a bit nervous. The smoke helps. It's the first time I've smoked since Bells and I have gotten back together. I try not to think of her or anything other than our mission. But her face is there in the back of my mind.
When I close my eyes, I see her smile. We're better than we were before. Stronger than before. She and I have both changed so much but all for the better. I grin when I recall the way she ran up to me before I left. I hadn't wanted to look back at her. My heart had nearly broken seeing Mia, Mawmaw, and Jessy. I hadn't been able to bring myself to look back to see Bells like that. But she hadn't been able to hold it back either. She had ran into my arms.
I wonder what she is doing now?
When I hear Lex's voice in my ear, it snaps my attention back to reality. They pull into the gravel parking lot, neither Lex or Chris looks towards of New York gang just a few feet away. Lex and Chris are instantly surrounded by armed men. I take my spot back. My rifle ready though my hands are shaking. I hear movements behind me as the guys do the same, taking their spots and getting ready. The men pat down Lex and Chris. Taking the pistols that they always carry. Luckily, they don't find the tiny ear piece in Lex's ear. It must have gone unnoticed. There is no wires. Lex has paid a pretty price for his high tech gadgets. I hold my breath when Lex and Chris are escorted inside.
I can hear everything going on but I still wish I was in there with them. I feel helpless out here. I'd be more help in there. This is Mia's doing. I know she asked Lex to keep me safe. She always does. I'm grown but still her baby in so many ways. Though it does touch my heart, it is very annoying.
Lex and Chris go back to meet the brother. His name is Tommy Mitchell. His older brother, who is now in jail, is Rick Mitchell. They're a bit older than Lex, probably in there forties. They're both clever and absolutely violent.
On the ear piece, I hear them order Lex and Chris.

"Stay here. Tommy will be a few minutes. Pour yourselves a glass, it's on the house."

A moment passes. Then...

"Guys," Lex says. "Stay put until you hear the words."

"I don't like this, Lex," I return.

"It will be fine."

I shake my head. "You shouldn't be waiting in that room for him. Who knows what he could be up to."

"Try to stay calm."

Another moment and new voices are heard.
We listen. Waiting.

"My apologies for keeping you both waiting," Tommy's voice is clear. "Please, take a seat."

After some movements, it goes silent again. Then...

"What can I do for you? I assume you haven't come to play your hand at poker."