Chapter 93

♡◇♡◇♡ isn't it funny how day eby day nothing changes, but when you look back everything is different-c.s. lewis♡◇♡◇♡
************************************
Oscar
*****
Now back home, I sit in a meeting with Lex, John, Samuel and Marco D'Amore, Pauly's father and baby brother, on speaker, and one of our financial advisers. At the beginning of the meeting I was totally focused and completely in it but now... my mind is back in L.A.
Bells, on her way out to class this morning, asked me again if I had read my mother's letter. It's one in the afternoon. I've had every opportunity today to read it but I haven't. And I can't really say why. Fear, maybe? That's what Bells says. That my subconscious mind is afraid of what will be in the letter. That that is the reason I have dove in yet. Perhaps she's right. Damn it.
I love Bells. And it's alright that's she's right but she doesn't have to ALWAYS be right. I hate being wrong. For some reason, it seems as of late, I've been wrong about alot. I was wrong in thinking my biological father never cared at all. He did, just not in the right way. I was wrong in thinking that visiting my mother's grave would be easy. It wasn't but it has made me feel better. And I was wrong in thinking that Pauly would have been in touch by now. He hasn't. In fact, no one has heard a word from him since he split.
Neither his father or his father's lackey's have been able to find Pauly. To be honest, although I am worried, I know Pauly better than anyone in this room. Or on the phone from the Big Apple. Pauly can handle himself. Besides, he's better off being out from his father's thumb. However, I can my opinions to myself. Now that whatever difference between Samuel and Lex, about Pauly, the last thing we need is to stir things up again. Especially since things are working out so well with business from New York.
That's not to say that if need be, I'll defend Pauly, if ever he needs me too.
With so much on my mind, it's no wonder I can't focus on anything in this meeting. And I'm little more than embarrassed when Lex has to say my name more than once to get my attention.

"Oscar," Lex says my name with force.

I sit up a bit straighter.

"Is there anything you'd like to add?" Lex repeats himself, his one dark brow lifting.

He knows I haven't been in this meeting. I have two options here. One, mumble my way through it. Or second, admit defeat and explain how I haven't heard a word any of them have said for the past hour.

I shake my head. "Uh, no. I think we're all good." Inwardly, I'm kicking my own ass.

"Wonderful," Samuel says over the phone. "I'll send the paperwork in the morning."

John D'Amore rolls his eyes. "The boy doesn't have a clue what you're offering him, Sam."

I blink. "No, I-"

Lex cuts me off. "Samuel is offering to let you take over his bar here in Savannah." Lex is beyond irritated with me.

Then I realize what they are offering. Or rather what Samuel is offering. My eyes widen.

"I thought that Pauly would-"

"As we were discussing," Lex grumbles. "With Pauly missing in action, the bar would be a good opportunity for you."

"Pauly wanted that bar. He's worked for it," I try to keep the confusion out of my tone.

"He hasn't worked for anything in his life," Samuel snaps back. "Marco is too young and wouldn't be able to take over until he's at least eighteen."

"Marco shouldn't get it anyways," I snap back. "No offense, Marco. But Paulys had his eye on that place since he got down here."

"And he clearly doesn't care about it anymore or he would be in this meeting now," Samuel hisses through the phone. "I won't beg you to take it, Oscar, but the opportunity won't last either."