All But White

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable and beautiful and afraid of nothing as if I had wings,"

-Mary Oliver

________________

AUGUST 2008

They were all in Idris as Robert Lightwood, the Inquisitor, had requested their presence there the week before.

It had been almost six months since he had set foot in Shadowhunter home country, though technically he knew he had no right to call Idris his home. He had tried to destroy it and it's people, twice and he wasn't even a pure Shadowhunter.

Nevertheless, it felt good to be in Idris. He felt more at peace here than anywhere else.

As usual, he was hovering over his sister, watching as Clary unpacked her things. Jace was perched on the bare nightstand beside her bed as he also watched her. They were in Amatis's home, which had been signed over to Jocelyn by Luke and he could hear Jocelyn moving around downstairs and the faint clinking of glasses.

"How long do you think we're going to be here?" Clary wondered, throwing herself onto her bed. She lay down, her fiery hair fanning out across the duvet as stared at her ceiling. Jonathan couldn't help but think how young she looked like when she was staring at the ceiling like that.

"Two days. Three, maybe?" Jace said, running a hand through his perfect, perfect hair. "We could stay longer, just you and me." he added suggestively.

"Not likely. I would love too but I underpacked. Even for the three days." Clary sighed.

"You could always borrow my clothes." Jace suggested and Jonathan could have sworn this was another innuendo. Clary turned her head to look at Jace, her eyebrows raised.

"The last time I wore your clothes, I drowned in them."

Jonathan raised his eyebrows. Now, when had that happened?

Jace laughed lightly. "I'll shrink them in the dryer for you."

Clary laughed. "How loving."

Jace grinned as he leaned towards Clary's small bag of clothes, his long fingers rummaging through it. "That's what boyfriends are for,"

"What are you-?" Clary wondered before cutting off and blushing at the item of clothing Jace held up. She sat up rapidly, her a tumult as if fell into her face.

"Sexy," he commented, staring suggestively at the white cotton bra that belonged to Clary. It was dangling from his forefinger, like a flag on a penant undisturbed by the wind. By the Angel, the hormonal and maturity level of this boy was going to be the death of him. Jonathan swore on it.

"Give me that-" Clary said, still a deep red as she reached for her bra, trying to swipe it from Jace's hand.

He held it high as he jumped to his feet, grinning at Clary. "For once, your height amuses me,"

"I can name ten other times my height has amused you. Now give it back before I knee somewhere that will effectively discontinue the Herondale line." Clary threatened, glaring at Jace.

He shrugged before looping his arm around Clary and pulled her closer. "Doing that would only be your loss, Clary."

Oh merciful, glorious Lord in Heaven and the Angel, please rid off whatever demonic, unholy spirit within this boy and protect my sister and the other maidens of the world from his cruel deeds. Please sew his mouth so no longer will any shameful things escape from his devilish tongue. Amen.