Nothing But Shadows (Beth's POV)

"Abraham Lincoln said once, I destroy my enemies by making them my friends, but how do I destroy friends who become enemies, people that I once cared about?"

-(another quote by me because I'm a lazy arse sue me)

PS: I'd like to wish a very happy birthday to the craziest mofo on Wattpad, my ridiculously witty friend Liza AKA the ever awesome @anonymues! Ily have a great day ahead even though it's midnight in LA! have this update as your birthday present!

______________

EARLY SEPTEMBER 2008

"Bethany! Have you unpacked?"

Beth looked up in annoyance, in the direction of her door before she continued reading her book.

"Bethany Stormchild, have you unpacked?" Even with a two flights of stairs, a wall and a door as a barrier between them, , Josette Stormchild's, her mother, words rang crystal.

"No, I've flung my clothes out the window!"

"Bethany Alice Stormchild! Don't you sass your own mother! Have you unpacked and kept your clothes?!

"Yes, mother, for the Angel's sakes, yes!" Beth screamed.

She could hear Josette complaining to her father about her 'teenage attitude'--a high string of unpleasant whines that made Beth want to deck her own mother in the face.

There was a time when Beth and Josette got along just fine--almost like sisters but that all changed when Josette cheated on her father.

Christopher, being the lovesick puppy that he was, forgave Josette as soon as the teary confession was out, claiming that he understood distance made people lonely as he had been away for three months assisting the Council. He had called it a moment of sheer weakness.

Josette had cried and swore never to cheat again but that was the beginning of a very, very strained strained relationship between Beth and Josette.

Beth loved Christopher--he was a remarkable person, impossible not to love and adore and cherish. He was a true gentleman; he put his family's needs before his, he made sure Beth and her brother had gotten everything they needed, he was a very well tempered, patient and understanding man and had never broken a promise he made to his family.

So Beth had a hard time understanding or even remotely believing how Josette could have betrayed and been unfaithful to such a wonderful man who had done everything to make sure his wife got everything she wanted in life. And she had zero understanding on how the damn hell did Christopher manage to forgive such an act.

You want that handbag, honey? Sure, take it. You want to travel to Rome, just you and I? Of course darling. The children can take care of themselves. You want to shred my heart into a million pieces by cheating because all I've been to you is a perfect, understanding and loving husband? Go right ahead and feel free to use the personalized dagger encrusted in jewels I got for you for your birthday and pretended that it didn't cost a large fortune.

Beth no longer saw the beauty in bloody marriage.

That hadn't been the only thing Josette had destroyed for her though. It was amazing how one single treachery could change Beth's perspective on so many things that would have been non significant otherwise: love, compassion, loyalty, commitment and greed. Now, Beth wanted to laugh at the person she had been a year and a half ago. The old era of a very naive and profanity-free Beth.

She sighed and rested her head on her arm, glaring at the pages of her book.

Marvellous, she thought bitterly. Thinking about that has made me lose my reading appetite.