Fighting Chance (Beth's POV)

"Things built from blood and marble crumbled before me in three seconds, foolishness and mankind being it's downfall."

--LOOK THERE ITS A SILENT BROTHER IN A TUTU PIROUEETING IN THE HALLWAY DONT KILL ME

________________

NOVEMBER 2008

There was something about being in a room filled with books that Beth reveled in.

She did not know if it was a mere figment of her imagination but when she was in a room filled with books, the air danced; her mood lifted and she felt lighter.

Maybe it was the fact that an escape to various different worlds were at arm's length.

Beth knew that a lot of mundanes would have sacrificed several limbs or family members to have her life as a Shadowhunter. Her life was what made her much loved fantasy fiction books but sometimes the fiction got a little overwhelmed with her life and needed an escape too.

She guessed that humans, Nephilim or mundanes, were greedy, insatiable creatures that could never be pleased by what they had.

Anyone that walked into Beth's room would have taken that a dean resided there from the amount of reading and writing paraphernalia that were scattered around. A stack of thick books rested on the edge of her bed while several dozen rested at the bottom, some half open while others kept in neat order. One wall of Beth's room was a massive oak bookshelf filled with only books of varying genres and sizes while beside it sat a white study table occupied by more books and uncapped pens and pencils.

Her room was her haven. Her literature filled haven.

The oak bookshelf of hers was divided into several categories: young adult fiction, fourteenth to eighteenth century classics which mostly reprised from Jane Austen, Victor Hugo, Danté, Tennyson and Shakespeare and finally her demonology textbooks.

Lying on her bed now, Beth blindly reached out, her hands searching for a book to read. Her hand skimmed across a cool hardcover and Beth seized it, lifting her head slightly to take a peak at the title.

Ashes to Ashes.

Beth rolled her eyes and put the book down, having read it two days ago. There always seemed to be a shortage of new reading material for Beth.

For the past two months, Beth had mostly done reading while her mind wandered around bends and nooks, dwelling into the dark and bright corners of her mind before reeling back to one complicated destination, weaved intricately into the fabric that created her thoughts.

Sebastian Morgenstern.

The repulsive, despicable bastard.

She tried convincing herself that the mongrel didn't deserve even a second of dwelling in her thoughts but so far, she didn't doubt she had spent at least four full days of collected time thinking of him--which was 84 hours in total--in the past two months.

She cursed and tried distracting herself with highly, obscene inappropriate thoughts that probably enabled Beth of intermediate damnation to Hell's deepest, darkest hole where all the Greater demons resided. She imagined seeing the Greater demons Hunger and Sammael and cringed before she resumed her vulgar thoughts.

"Bethany, lunch is ready!"

Beth looked up, her hair falling into her eyes. She swung herself off the bed, grabbing the book Eleanor & Park (which, as far as she was concerned, was the most beautiful, foul-mouthed, insightful, realistic love story books she had ever read ((and she also believed she had just supplied the review of the year for that book)) as she passed it. She cradled the book to her chest before taking the steps two at a time, the tangy scent of chicken curry wafting in the air around her.