sparks

'i'm 22, and i just moved to this city this year. i don't really have any friends or family. i haven't got much of a life really, to be honest.' i admit. she smiles at me.
'alright, my turn. my name's maria, and i'm 21. i've been in this business since i was 16 and i ran away from home. it took me 4 years to work my way to the top, but i made it. i don't get much initial respect because i'm a girl, and you know, people think i'm weak. i don't have anyone besides the crew back at the house.' she tells me. i nod.

we get more comfortable, and talk for a long while. when i eventually look at the time i see that it's gone 5am, and we've been talking for 4 hours. she notices too. 'oh shit, we better get going.' she tells me. i nod and we drive off, back to the crummy little house.

after that night, i don't see her for a good two weeks. i spend all my time in my room. larry comes every three days with basic living essentials, and i watch tonnes of netflix and youtube. i try asking larry what's going on, but he just shrugs and tells me i'm not needed.

eventually, i get a knock on my door, pretty late at night. i open it to see maria herself, looking beautiful but tired.  she smiles at me. 'hi, curly. it's been a while. do you have any pasta? i haven't been able to eat yet, i've got no food.' she tells me.
'oh, yes. you've got no food?' i ask.
'larry's going shopping tomorrow, but everyone else is out on a big heist. i didn't realise til now, and it's gone 11. all the shops are shut.' she tells me.
'i can make you sometjing if you like?' i offer. she goes to shake her head, but stops herself. 'alright then. i haven't had a decent conversation in a while.' she tells me. i lead her inside.

half an hour later, we're sat on my sofa, eating macaroni cheese and laughing.

'we should do this more often.' i say bravely. she looks scared for a second, checking my eyes to see if i'm serious. when she sees i am, she nods slowly. 'yeah.' she replies. 'yeah we should.'
'are you alright?' i ask.
'yes.' she replies.
'you can talk to me, you know.'
she opens her mouth, but then closes it. 'i'm fine.' she says.

her turquoise eyes meet mine. everything else fades into the background and i slowly lean into her, my hand slipping into her soft curls.

she looks scared for a minute, but relaxes into me. we kiss, so gently i can scarcely believe it even happened. she pulls away, her eyes confused. i lean back in but she pulls away. 'no, we can't do this. you're a hostage. i'm sorry.'
'don't be sorry.' i tell her. 'if you're not comfortable it's okay.'
she looks shocked for a minute, like she's never heard that before in her life. slowly, she leans in again.