No Longer Top of the Food Chain

After First Contact, NATO Council Chambers, 11.15

The three moving images reappeared on the massive screen in the NATO council chambers. The room was suddenly quiet as every individual in the room attempted to process the events of the last five minutes.

'Two hours is very little time,' Alpha Black's voice reverberated around the quiet room,

'Were your words true? Do we work together as a planet of equal species or should the Supernatural Coalition make their own way?' Every representative turned to look at Markus Black, for the first time realising he had never been convinced that the members of the human council were going to treat his species as equals.

'You are correct, Alpha Black,' Emmett had never been a stupid man and he'd seen that the only favourable reaction from the aliens had been toward Markus Black,

'Some members of this council may have come today to argue points of social integration.' Rumblings from some representatives proved his statement true even if those same people looked angry at the disclosure,

'However, we are living in a brand new world. One where none of us are at the top of the food chain anymore. We need to decide now how to approach these representatives from other planets who clearly have technology that is more forward than any country on Earth,'

'Agreed,' Rhydian Davies waded in,

'First things first, we need to clarify what 'contributions' are required to be a part of the Universal Worlds Council. If these contributions are acceptable, fine, if not what if any means do we have to refuse?'

Markus Black stared intently at the US and U.K. leaders, his brain flicking through thoughts, strategies and considerations,

'We do not have enough information to consider any form of offence or defense at present so it is pointless to consider a confrontation at this time,' Emmett interjected. All other representatives, considering the points being made, quietly watch the three men as they communicate verbally as well as by their eye contact.

'What we do know is that Alpha Black made a favourable impression on three of the four aliens we just saw. That should be used to our advantage and further we should consider what that may mean for what they consider 'of value'' continued Emmett.

'May I suggest that all representatives in these council chambers remain for the expected discussion later this afternoon with the aliens and that all of us communicate with our various contacts to prepare the rest of the world for the aliens' arrival in Earth space before we have mass panic... It will not be long before this information becomes common knowledge as the Hawaiian observatory is not the only observatory and the administration at those sites will not hesitate to cause a... furore,' the German Chancellor spoke for the first time.

'Agreed', President Bande took control of the proceedings,

'All are to return to these chambers at four pm to converse and negotiate with the alien entities of the UWC taking time to prepare all peoples of Earth for First Contact with alien species.'

Emmett grabbed his U.K. counterpart by the arm as the representatives rose to vacate the room and headed toward Markus Black.

Alpha Black raised his eyebrow at the clear intention of the US President to approach him and waited for the two gentlemen to reach him,

'Would you please join us for a private discussion, Alpha Black. I assume you have protocols in place to communicate across your species in times of emergency that will free you for a frank discussion with us...?'

Markus gave a wry smile to the President and inclined his head, 'My second and third in the Supernatural Coalition will join us however as I cannot breach our binding conditions of coalition,'