Spy: Chapter 1

Spy’s whole body ached. The airport was frighteningly vacant, only two planes landing in the four or so hours he had been there. In pain, out of place and uncomfortable; mark him down as the winner of misery bingo. He rose an unlit cigarette to his lips, but was immediately instructed to put it away. Airport Security; adding insult to injury since the dawn of time.

It was XX:XX before another plane had landed. Right on time, he thought to himself. Bodies of all shapes and professions leaked from the small doorway, none of which looked even vaguely familiar. He pulled himself to his feet, hoping his height would serve as a tool to explore the crowd to no avail. Spy’s muscles shook as he leaned back into his seat. He closed his eyes for a brief moment just to catch his breath.

“My goodness, Casimir… you let yourself grow old.”

He half expected to see Melissa standing over him when he opened his eyes. Instead, he was treated to a slender, younger woman with eyes that made the shores of Greece seethe with envy.

“I could say the same, my Katerina.” He forced himself onto his feet once more to embrace his only true love properly.

She sighed contently, instantly forgetting the years of separation and, dare I say, neglect. “This country is so…” she paused mid-sentence, trying to locate the correct word, “chaud.”

“The word is hot.” Spy gently pat her shoulder, “Your English is quite good.”

“Oui, ça l'est-” she sighed in defeat and continued her thought in French, “I understand it perfectly, speaking it is my only problem.”

“It is perfectly fine,” he held out his arm to lead her out of the terminal, “I’m afraid the Americans aren’t very accommodating when it comes to foreign tourists, however.”

--

“Ma- no, Ma- Yes, I KNOW when the plane is leaving but-... Will you please just listen?! It shouldn’t take very long, the plane’s not even leaving until 10 at NIGHT! We’ve got all day! …I know it’s cuttin’ it down to the wire, but… yes… mhm… OKAY OKAY, I GOT IT. We’ll be there, I promise… Love you too, ma.” Scout hung up the phone unenthusiastically. He’d only been awake for an hour and every moment since had been chaos. Why would Spy, of all people, leave unannounced like that? And why would he leave HIM a letter? What would it even say? He pulled the small envelope from his back pocket and gently tore-

“Scout, we found something!”

It would have to wait.

Scout joined the other men in the commons room. They had clustered over Ms. Pauling’s shoulders as she read the other letter left by Spy, “He’s at the airport. That’s about all I can make out, it’s all in French. It’s also signed by someone named Katerina. Maybe he’s meeting her there?”

“Katerina…” Scout mumbled the name under his breath. He knew he had heard it before, but he couldn’t pinpoint when or where, “So we just go to the airport. Ask around and see if anyone’s seen him.”

“Two problems; #1, Spy totaled the car. #2, he’s not wearing his mask.” Ms. Pauling paced the wood flooring, hoping to think of an alternate solution.

Melissa tapped Ms. Pauling’s arm lightly, “Excuse me, Ms. Pauling…?” She looked down at Scout’s daughter with an inquisitive look, “I’ve seen him without his mask…”

“Great! We can just take her to the airport with us once we have a car!” Medic rejoiced with the other men and praised himself for his wonderful idea.

“But Medic, we can’t take her. It’s too risky.” She mentally flipped through the possible outcomes if she let that happen. Spy was a very particular case; he had joined Mann Co. partly out of necessity to protect his identity and his old life, it was simply fate that he happened to be incredibly adaptable to his position. Well, not entirely, but that’s a story for another day. Regardless, the fact Spy had left base unauthorized (and injured) to visit someone who had no idea about his work and hailed from his country of origin where he (for lack of better terms) was exiled… it was a mess of paperwork that Ms. Pauling had never even dreamed stacked so high. And to drag Scout’s delicate situation into it only added insult to injury.

“But Ms. Paaauuuliiiinnnggggg, I can’t leave until I give him his present!” Melissa begged.

That face. That horribly adorable face just slayed her. She couldn’t say no-NO. She HAD to say no. The company already disliked Melissa and attempted to kill her once, to let her continue to to be involved would jeopardize- “Okay, fine.”