The Nightmare

Water dripped down from the stalagmites hanging from the sparkle speckled ceiling. Loud snores echoed through the otherwise quiet halls of Waterfall. Sans was asleep at his post, like he often was. No matter how many times his brother explained that the amount of time he slept wasn't healthy and that he was concerned, Sans still didn't listen and slept excessively. In short, Sans didn't know how to help himself, nor could he find a reason to. At that point in time, Papyrus didn't even bother to wake him up anymore, as he'd just find yet another place to "rest his eyes." It's not like he helped watch out for humans anyway.

Sans began tossing and turning in his seat, suffering from one of his nightmares. This one was one he didn't quite recognize, yet it felt like he'd seen it somewhere before. It placed an odd feeling of familiarity in his mind, of recognition. You'd think with how frequently his mind was plagued with nightmares, they wouldn't scare him as much, or that he'd at least try and sleep less. But if you thought that, you definitely thought wrong. It's already been established that Sans either couldn't or wouldn't find a reason to help himself.

Without going into further detail, let's just say that this nightmare was one that would fall onto the worse side of the spectrum. His hands twitched and a blue glow emitted from beneath his eyelids, the mere existence of Sans' eyelids baffling nearly everyone, including Sans. An audible gasp escaped his forever smiling mouth, whether that smile was entirely truthful being unknown. Following his gasp was heavy breathing, gradually transforming into regular breathing patterns as he calmed down. Of course, Sans was still a tad on edge, and he figured that perhaps a trip to Grillby's would improve his mood. He looked around to make sure no one could see him, and used his "shortcuts" to teleport to Grillby's, landing directly in the seat he always sits in. Other than the skeleton, the usually packed bar was empty.

Grillby is standing behind the counter and turns around from the sink, not shocked in the slightest to see Sans sitting in his seat.

"...The usual?" Grillby said, already holding a bottle of ketchup in his hands.

"yup," Sans replied, the flame monster sliding the equivalent of alcohol to the skeleton. The two lingered in silence, the only noise being the water running over the dishes in the sink. Grillby turned back around to the sink and continued washing the dishes, the water steaming. Sans took a drink from the ketchup bottle, the taste lingering long after he swallowed. At this point, Grillby had finished cleaning the dishes and they were all resting in the drying rack. The skeleton, still shaken up from his earlier experience, stared down at the table, lost in thought. Grillby stared at him, mildly concerned. He hesitated, then spoke up.

"...Sans? Are you alright?" Grillby asked, genuinely worried for his regular.

Sans continued staring down at the table until he finally responded. "does life ever feel pointless to you, grillbz?"

a/n: sorry, i would've written more but i didn't really know where i was going with this. this is also my first time writing an actual story with multiple chapters rather than having a different story every chapter. anyway, i feel like this story could actually be the start of something good! i hope you guys liked it, despite the fact that it's not what i usually write.

word count: 590