The Accident

"Why do you come here every night?"

Grillby asked this question as if he had just made a realization of some sort, but the tone of his voice suggested that the realization only led to more questions. He was awaiting an answer from his regular, who was looking awkward as all hell, avoiding any sort of eye contact. The petite skeleton took a long, slow drink of his equivalent of alcohol.

"well," Sans paused, taking a bit of time to collect his thoughts, "honestly, i'm not really sure. it just makes me feel... comfortable, i guess. the lighting is calming, the people are funny, you're-"

Abruptly pausing, Sans suddenly remembered who he was talking to and wondering what came over him. His thoughts were racing, most being "What the fuck is wrong with you?" or "This is why you don't actually talk to people. Not really."

"welp, i guess that's enough drinks for tonight," the skeleton said, panicked laughter following his words. Sans was internally panicking, desperately trying to calm himself down but failing miserably. Although it may seem entirely out of character for him, Sans was actually an incredibly anxious person and was not the most... stable, for lack of better words.

Taken aback, Grillby was silent. This wasn't particularly unusual for the elemental. After all, he rarely spoke. However, it was unusual for him to be put in this situation. He was used to comforting Sans in a drunken state, despite the fact that the petite skeleton would never remember it in the morning anyway. However, he'dnever had he expressed quite this much panic or fear before, at least, not towards Grillby.

Without second thought, Grillby grabbed the ketchup bottle and pulled it away from Sans, much to his dismay.

"I think you're correct, Sans," Grillby stated, standing up from his barstool, "you have had far too many drinks for one night."

"b-but i've only had two-"

"You're not doing this tonight, Sans. You know very well that it's been much more than two, and you also know that I keep tallies on your drinks, despite the fact that I highly doubt that you will ever even attempt to pay for them. Speaking of which," Grillby continued, beginning a lecture. He had subconsciously began walking behind the counter and to the sink. "you are in tremendous debt to me, although I don't expect you to pay it back anytime soon, I do expect that you pay me back eventually-"

"okay, sounds good, see ya later grillbz," Sans said quickly before teleporting into bed. He landed directly on his weighted blanket. Papyrus had bought it for him in hopes that he would sleep more soundly at night and therefore would not take as many naps during the day.

"Wait, Sans-" Grillby exclaimed as his regular teleported away. He audibly sighed. "Goddammit."

a/n: i got a random burst of motivation and decided to write another chapter of this story. i hope it turned out all right.

word count: 501