The Pep Talk

"does life ever feel pointless to you, grillbz?"

Grillby was shocked at the petite skeleton's question. He wasn't actually expecting Sans to open up, let alone ask that sort of question. He took a sip of the glass of bourbon that he almost always had with him during work hours, then turned around and knelt down to look Sans face to face. Grillby's arms rested on the small countertop, holding his body up and bringing his face much closer to Sans than he'd care to admit.

"Be honest with me Sans, what's going on?" Grillby asked, trying his hardest to show that he was concerned and cares for Sans, despite the fact that he wasn't(and still isn't) great with emotions.

"well, i... o've been..." Sans paused, trying to find a way to explain his issue without sounding like a complete child, ultimately deciding to not talk about his nightmares. "i don't know, grillbz. life just feels so... pointless. there's nothing special here, not for me, not for you, for anybody, even. and we all know it. i just can't help but think i'm just another worthless monster-"

Grillby stood up halfway and pulled Sans into a meaningful hug over the counter.

"Oh, Sans..." Grillby said, his flames growing dim at San's words. "Don't you ever, ever tell yourself that. You are anything but worthless. Maybe a little lazy, but not worthless in the slightest. I know I don't talk much, but believe me, seeing you come in is always my favourite part of the day." 

Sans was taken aback by Grillby's words, especially considering that he didn't say many of those to begin with. A blue colour began to show ever so slightly on his face as the elemental pulled away from the embrace, his warm hands brushing the sides of Sans' skull as he went to stand up straight. He looked over Sans to make sure that no one was left in his restaurant before heading around the counter to sit next to Sans, making sure to grab his glass of bourbon on the way.

"y'know grillby, for a quiet guy, you sure know how to cheer people up," Sans commented as the bartender was sitting down.

Grillby lightly chuckled before responding, "Well, I figure that if I'm going to serve people alcohol, I may as well respond to their drunken ramblings, and maybe try to help them." Grillby glanced down at Sans only to see him staring straight forward, taking a sip of his "drink". The fire monster couldn't help but notice that he had a slight blue glow plastered on his face, along with a smile, which wasn't unusual, but this smile was different. A bit more... meaningful, maybe?

Sans looked over at Grillby quizzically after seeing the elemental staring at him in his peripheral vision. Grillby jolted his head back to looking straight ahead. Deciding to ignore it, the skeleton continued the conversation.

"i just realized that i don't think i've ever heard you talk this much before. it's kind of funny, considering i come here every day..."

Grillby stayed silent, as if he had just made some sort of realization. He took a sip of his bourbon before asking Sans a question.

"...Why do you come here every night?"

a/n: not gonna lie, i legit hate how this chapter turned out. it probably would have turned out better if i actually remembered that i have to update tonight in order to make it a habitual thing. this chapter was completely last minute and i hate it with every ounce of shipping energy in my body. if you're this far, i'm so sorry that you had to read this and i deserve to be crucified.

word count: 614