Fujibayashi

The paramedics eventually managed to empty the bus. While this was happening, I had invited the girl to use my phone to call her parents to tell them what had happened: she and her sister had been in an accident, and her sister had not been as lucky as she was.

"Fujibayashi-san," I address the now vacant-eyed girl, who had informed me of her family name so I could look up her phone number.

"Yeah?" Fujibayashi's voice is quiet and hoarse. She had managed to hold back her tears while talking with her parents, but tears are now beginning to roll down her cheeks again.

"I... I don't know what to say to you," I continue honestly, "I've never had a sibling, let alone a twin, so I won't pretend to understand what you're going through right now."

Fujibayashi says nothing, staring down at the phone mounted on the wall. Her fists are clenched, and her shoulders heave as she begins to sob. A knot forms in my throat and I look away.

"I'm... sorry for your loss."

That's all I can manage to say. What do you say to someone who's lost the person they love most? Especially when that someone is a complete stranger; I just don't know what to do in this situation. Kotomi knows more about psychology than I do, but she went and hid as soon as this girl showed up.

"Did you want me to escort you back to your house?" I don't know what else to do, but I want to help her as much as I can. She's in pain, so I can't just leave her alone.

"Y-yeah," Fujibayashi croaks, wiping her eyes and straightening her uniform, "Yeah, that's probably a good idea."

I tell Fujibayashi to wait in the living room as I go upstairs to change and sort out my hair. Once I've finished getting ready, she's still sitting on the couch, staring at the floor.

"Ready to go?" I ask the grieving girl. She slowly stands up, as if in a trance, and begins making her way to the door. I open it for her and put on my shoes as I follow her out.

Once we're outside, she picks up her pace to match my stride. Looking over, I can see that her eyes are glazed over, staring down to the ground. Her hair is still somewhat messy from being in an accident and crying. My chest hurts and I look away.

When we eventually reach her house, I solemnly greet her parents, who thank me for letting Fujibayashi use my phone and for bringing back their surviving daughter. Their eyes are red and puffy, and neither can meet my gaze. They avoid looking at Fujibayashi completely.

With solemn condolences, I turn away and begin the walk back to Kotomi's house. Upon my back are the gazes of yet another broken family. This sorrow is the price of love. Kotomi with her parents, and now this girl and her parents, with her twin. Should I be happy, then, to have never had that? Should I be glad to have come from a household where the loss of a member meant nothing?

These thoughts stay with me as I pass through the Ichinose's front door, and collapse onto the familiar ground. The ground of a home too large for just two people.