Chapter 4

(Transgender male, visible scars. Be careful if this is a sensitive subject for you. It's a big thing for this that I can't skip over.)

It was morning time, and people were starting to wake up from their slumber. Cameron and Ryou were the first two up as they went to the coolers to get breakfast. Mark started to stir awake and groaned as he threw an arm over his eyes. He slowly sat up and rubbed his eyes as the blanket fell from his bare chest. Just then, Ryou pulled the curtain aside a bit to wake up Mark and gasped at what he saw. He looked at Marks chest where two scars lay on each side below his nipples. Mark let out a growl and Ryou backed out as he let the curtain fall back in place.

Mark grabbed his glasses from next to him on a foldout chair and put them on quickly. He changed his pajama shorts for another pair of light tan khakis and a white tank top. He grabbed his flip phone, from the chair, to finally check it since he forgot it was on silent yesterday. He sighed as he saw 5 missed calls from his sister. Checking the time, he decided to call hoping she was awake right now.

Ring, ring

Ring, ring

He sighed as he looked at the screen then put it back to his ear.

Ring, ring

Ring, ring

"Hey..." A soft, sleepy voice said on the other line.

"Hey sis...did I wake you?" He asked as he left the small area to join the others.

'I hope Ryou didn't say anything' He thought with a small sigh.

"Ya kinda, but it's ok" She answered. He shook his head as he answered.

"No it's not, I can call later if you're free?"

"Bro, It's fine. Everything good over there?" He smiled at her concern.

"Ya...we meet someone new"

"Oh...is it a hot guy?" She asked as he could practically see her smirking at him and shook his head with a small laugh.

"Nah, he's a cutie. I just want to squeeze him"

"Boooo, where are all the hot guys?!" She said with exasperation as he laughed. He entered the "kitchen" area as Ryou glanced at him. He went to a cooler as he answered.

"Not here I guess" He said with a light voice.

"hmmm, well that sucks" She said as he could hear her pouting.

"It's ok, I need to focus anyways" He had finished pulling out some fruit and a plate as he sat on a chair by the table.

"Ya I know, but it's been awhile since I've seen you care about something other than digs and ruins" He sighed as he ate a grape.

"I know" He whispered with a sad look in his eyes. Angela looked over from her spot at the table as Ryou sat down next to her while Cameron and Joey were eating.

"Anyways...how are you?"

"If you mean the nightmares, not bad....Generally I'm doin pretty well" He said with a sigh. The others looked over as they heard him. Angela gave a small nod and went back to eating while Ryou and Joey stopped what they were doing to look at him.

"They're still happening huh?" She sighed.

"It takes time Mana, you know that" He answered softly.

"Yes, but this has been happening for several years and nothing seems to help...I'm just worried ok?"

"I know you are. I'm fine, so there's nothing to worry about right now ok?" She sighed but gave in.

"Fine, but don't ignore my calls got it?" Mark visibly sweated and chuckled nervously.

"No promises, I have to keep it on silent when in the ruins remember?"

"You know what I mean, you didn't answer before"

"Sorry, sorry"

"Well, I should get back to sleep...." She said with a yawn and Mark smiled.

"Ok, night sis"

"Night bro" She said as she ended the call.

He closed his phone and continued eating the fruit. After a moment of silence, Ryou spoke up.

"Um...are you ok Mark?" He asked with concern. Mark sighed as he thought about how to respond.

"What do you mean?" He asked Ryou as he bit into an apple.

"Th-the scars, what happened?" He asked nervously. Mark quirked an eyebrow at him.

"You...don't know what they are?" Mark asked with a bit of shock. Ryou shook his head as Mark sighed.

"They're...." He paused as he stood up. He put the apple down and took off his shirt.

"It's from surgery...to get my chest flat..." He said as he looked to the side. Angela sighed and spoke up.

"Mark was born as a female but his brain was developed as male. He's transgender, meaning he is a guy, but was born with the wrong parts" She explained for him. He gave her a small thankful nod.

"Oh, OH. Ok that makes more sense, I thought something horrible happened" Ryou said with a small relieved sigh.

"Man, that sucks" Cameron said as she was finished eating. They all looked at her with different emotions like confusion and suspicion.

"What? It's gotta suck to be in the wrong body, I can't even imagine it" She said with a shrug and sent a glare at Angela. Mark smiled and looked at the, weirdly quite, Joey.

"Hmm?" Joey said as he was eating some grapes. Angela gave him a look and quirked a eyebrow as he swallowed.

"Oh, hey man don't worry 'bout it we're not gonna see ya any different than before ok?" Joey said with a smile and went right back to eating. Ryou and Mark laughed as the other two rolled their eyes.