Ch. 1: If You Need Me

"If you need me, I want you to call me. Said if you need me, all ya gotta do is call me. Don't wait too long, if things go wrong. I'll be home. If you want me, send for me. I said if you want me, all ya gotta do is send for me. Don't wait too long. Just pick up your phone. And I'll hurry home. Where I belong." - Solomon Burke

* * *

You tried your best not to think about Peter extensively over the rest of break. It was only three days, but they seemed to be now hampered by the fact that a boy you'd known to be so sweet and loving was now possibly in pain.

You'd tried to track the story as closely as you could, but it was almost as if after that initial news story and a quick follow up, explaining that the explosion had simply been a mishap and everything was being handled, there was nothing.

Not a word on Peter's condition or how serious it had been.

You went back to school only three days after that news story broke. You'd have a long weekend to get back to business before the semester started, and Lazlo wouldn't be back for a bit but Thandie was already back at the apartment.

As Aggie and Whit drove you through the city, you leaned over to see the scarring damage that was still broken and gapping in the top of Stark Tower. Scaffolding was all over it like a spider's web, and the image made you shudder.

Thandie seemed to be waiting for you, fluttering all over the apartment with her unbridled energy. She had a pretty big semester coming up and you could tell that she was already stressing about it as her textbooks started to arrive.

"It's insane," Thandie was saying, "It's like they're expecting me to not only do 21 semester hours, but also find a way to complete an internship or find one by the end of the semester for the entire summer. Do you know how difficult it is to find a good paying internship in an architectural firm?"

"I'm guessing pretty difficult," you said, listening to her intently.

You were a great active listener, nodding and following her with your eyes and leaning in, just to make sure she knew you were listening and her rant was justified. You'd always appreciated being the listener in conversations. If the focus was on you, then you'd just start rambling and you felt hot all over with embarrassment just thinking about the past times you've sounded like you were word vomiting all over the place.

"It's insane!" Thandie cried again, "Not to mention that if I'm ever going to actually get anything built in my lab classes, then I'm going to have to be doing some serious hours in the lab in the evenings. So I guess I might as well say goodbye to my job."

"You love your job!" you cooed, shaking your head as Thandie bristled.

Thandie worked as a receptionist at a small art gallery on the opposite side of campus. She liked being in the building because of its design and the history of the modern art wing. She was always happy when she came back from work and you felt sad for her that she may have to give it up.

"I do! But I love my grades and my potential future career more!"

You were both in the process of making brownies. You and Thandie were similar, in that you always baked when you were stressed. Thandie had yet to ask you what you were stressed about, but you were kind of grateful for it, considering you really didn't want to talk about Peter Parker.

"Thandie," you placed your hand on her shoulder, "Please don't stress. It's only the beginning of the semester. Why don't you email your advisor and ask to make an appointment with him? He'll know how to balance everything!"