Assassination Time

The whole class was silent as they waited in anticipation for their target. Amai felt a chill run up her spine at the thought of what the class was about to do. She looked at the pistol sitting in her desk. She knew her classmates were expecting her to use it, but she just couldn't bear to touch or even look at it any longer.

Everyone suddenly felt a rumble. There was no doubt that the teacher had arrived. They heard the front doors open and slithering down the hall. A few students gulped as the target got closer.

The door to the classroom opened, and the familiar strange figure of the new teacher entered. "Alright people," he said placing a roll book on his desk. "Let's get started, shall we? Class monitor, if you would do the honors."

"Right," Nagisa said standing. "Ready." The whole class stood, pointing their guns at the teacher. "Aim." There was a deafening silence for Amai as she slowly sunk to the floor and hid under her desk, placing her hands over her ears. "Fire!" The whole class started shooting their guns at the teacher.

He started dodging all the BBs with ease as he moved with intense speed. He moved so fast that there seemed to be three of him at the front.

"Oh. Oh my," he said in amusement as he continued to dodge the hail of BBs. "Well, why don't I just call roll while you children wear yourselves out? Isogai?"

"Here," Isogai responded.

"What's that?" the teacher asked as he continued to dodge the BBs. "I'm afraid I couldn't make it out over all the gunfire."

"Here!" Isogai said louder.

"Okajima?"

"Here!"

"Okuda?"

"Here."

"Kataoka?"

"Here!"

"Kayano?"

"Here!"

"Kanzaki?"

"Here!"

Amai stayed under her desk and waited until the gunfire had ceased before coming out of her hiding place. She placed her hands on her desk and peaked her head just high enough to see what was happening. Everyone in the class was panting and looked irritated.

"Excellent," the new teacher said closing the roll book. "All present and accounted for. No tardies!" His face turned a light shade of red with a darker red circle appearing on his face. "Congratulations!"

"He's fast," Nakamura said in agitation.

"The whole class opened fire, and he doesn't even have a scratch," Isogai said looking down at his gun.

"No luck today either, eh?" the teacher said in amusement. "That's really too bad. What's the lesson here? Numbers are no substitute for inventiveness, perhaps? That any hack can hold a gun and pull a trigger? Some of column A? Some of column B? I get that you're trying to cast the net as wide as possible so to speak, but the approach lacked originality. When the target clocks at mach 20, an assassin has to think outside the box."

"Heh, right," Maehara said rolling his eyes. "Mach 20. No freaking way you dodged that hail of bullets."

"He's got a point," Sugino said looking at a BB in his hand. "I mean these are only BB's, right? For all we know you just stood there and took them like a champ.

The teacher sighed before calling out, "Amai?"

"Sir?" Amai said with a squeak now fully seated at her desk.