Chapter Three

"Where have you been all these years?" Arthur questioned sitting by the fire

"Where have you been all these years?" Arthur questioned sitting by the fire. The mage sits near him on one side while Merlyn sits on the other. Percival and Rubio sit further away but close enough to hear their conversation.

The mage glances up and looks across the fire to her mentor.

"Making sure you stay hidden" Merlyn told him. He frowns his eyebrows. "A lot of people have been looking for you since the day you disappeared, I've been making sure you haven't been found"

"And how is that working out?" He asks sarcastically while lifting his still bound hands.

"Well, you're still alive aren't you?" She asks with a light smirk on her face. He grunts slightly while staring at her curiously.

"And why have you been doing this?" He asks her. "Why spend all of these years keeping me hidden?"

"Because the world was not ready for you, you were not ready for that" She says nodding to the sword.

"And now I am?" Arthur questions.

"And now you have to be" Merlyn tells him. He presses his lips together and clenches his jaw. "I know this is not something you want but it's something you have to do"

"Why?" He practically growled.

"Because you're the only one with the ability to wield Excalibur" She explains to him. "You're the born king, whether you like it or not" She tells him. "It's your duty, your destiny" He grunts again.

"The last time we met," Arthur began later that night. The only ones awake is Merlyn, himself and Percival. Percival leans against a nearby tree lost in his own world giving the two of them privacy as they speak. "You gave me this" Arthur pulls a necklace out from under his shirt.

"I'm surprised you haven't lost that," She tells him. 

"It always found it's way back to me" He tells her. She smiles softly and nods in understanding. He slips it back under his shirt. "Why did you give it to me?"

"You were a small boy who witnessed a horrific tragedy," She told him. "When I first saw you, you wouldn't even get out of the boat. You didn't know who to trust, you were scared. When I took you to the brothel, you didn't want to go. I gave you that so that you would relax, so that you would trust me enough to know I wasn't going to put you somewhere dangerous." Arthur stares at her and slowly nods.

"With all do respect, Merlyn" He says slowly while shifting in his spot. "You're lying" He deadpans. She smirks at him.

"Why ask questions you already know the answers too?" She whispers with cocked eyebrows. "You're a smart lad, Arthur, you know why you have that necklace. You know why it always finds its way back to you. You know these answers, so why ask?"

"I didn't know if what I knew was true or not" He tells her. "Guess I just wanted some confirmation" He says. She smirks at him.

"With all do respect, Arthur, you're lying" She tells him. "You have the answers but you don't trust the knowledge because you are not ready to face the truth. Much like you are not ready to face Excalibur and the secrets it holds"