Chapter Seven

*So sorry it takes forever for updates! I absolutely love writing this book but between school and my other books, I have a hard time finding the time to write this but worry not, updates will come as I'm not abandoning this book. Just bare with me.*

"Something catch your eye?" Arthur questions walking to stand beside Merlyn. They stood at the entrance of the cave under the moonlight. Most of the others have fallen asleep save for the few that watch the perimeter. Merlyn glances at him obviously having been deep in thought.

"Or someone," She whispers with a slight smirk. Arthur soon mimics her expression. She holds his gaze for a moment before looking back into the forest.

"Is there something out there?" Arthur asks knowing the elvish sorcerer knew and could sense things far better than he ever could. While the moon gave light to everything below, the darkness of the forest is far too vast in darkness for him to see.

"It's a forest, born king, of course there are things out there," Merlyn tells him. "There are deer, wolves, birds and worms," She turns her head back to him. "But no enemies, not tonight," She assures him.

"Then what troubles you?" He wonders softly. His head leans slightly as his hazel eyes observe her slightly pensive expression.

"The same worries that plague your thoughts and the thoughts of everyone here," She tells him. "Nothing more, nothing less," She assures him. Arthur nods before shuffling closer to her. She smiles slightly finding comfort in his closeness.

"What was that earlier?" Arthur asks thinking about the attack in the woods. His heart clenched at the thought of what would have happened had he arrived even a second later.

"A moment of weakness," Merlyn says in a whisper, her eyes growing distant. "One that won't happen again," She says her voice growing stronger. Despite her standing beside him, he felt as if her mind is a thousand miles away.

"I'm going to need more than that, darlin'" Arthur presses turning towards her a little more. He wanted to understand her. What she had been doing in the woods, the spell she had been whispering was something he didn't understand.

"I was communicating with Mordred," She purses her lips for a moment. "He wishes for me to leave you and join him but I refused. I hadn't realized it was a trap until it was too late. Were it not for you, I would have met a deadly fate"

"I have your back, just as you have mine," Arthur assures her his hand reaching out for hers. She meets his gaze as she slowly intertwines their fingers. "Just, next time, let me know when you want to wander in the woods to have a secret meeting,"

"I will," Merlyn nods with a small smile giving his hand a gentle squeeze. "Get some rest Arthur, you need to regain your strength," She whispers knowing that he is not yet completely recovered from the Dark Lands despite her having healed the majority of his wounds.

Although, she had encouraged him to rest, she refuses to release his hand. She didn't want to part from him, not yet. They had spend years apart as he grew in Londinium whilst she fought against the evils of the world. Now they've come back together and Merlyn found it becoming increasingly more difficult to leave his side, even to rest for the night. 

"You need rest as well, you may be immortal but you need sleep like the rest of us,"

"Aye but I'm not immortal," She tells him, the corner of her lip quirking upward. "I simply live longer than the rest of you," She corrects him.

"Oh, my bad," Arthur says sarcastically. Merlyn's eyes shine as she releases a small laugh. She raises her other hand to comb his hand back. Arthur sighs quietly and subconsciously moves closer. "Come sit with me, by the fire," Arthur whispers. It didn't escape Merlyn that he hadn't asked yet it wasn't a firm demand. However, Merlyn found it impossible to deny him, not that she wanted to.

Silently, Merlyn nods allowing Arthur to lead her towards the fire. One of the guards had been standing by it but left upon their arrival. The two sat close to each other. Merlyn leans into his side and hugs his arm. He rests his hand on her leg laying his head atop of hers.

"Your parents," Arthur whispers. "Have you seen them since they sent you away?" 

"No," Merlyn murmurs gently tightening her grip around his arm. "Elves hardly stay in one place for very long, especially when man began to hunt us down overcome by their fear by us,"

"Why did they fear your kin?"

"Because we are stronger, faster, and more connected to magic than man." Merlyn tells him. "While most of my kin are peaceful, there are those who are not. Vortigern took the opportunity to act on mans fear and used it as an excuse to hunt us down. My people hid within the mountains, those that are left at least. I hope my parents are among the survivors but I cannot be certain"

Arthur sighs as he falls silent. Their eyes stare at the crackling fire, both deep within their minds. Arthur briefly wonders about the possibility of him becoming king and how he would try to make allies with the surviving elves. Merlyn, for the first time in decades, thinks of her parents. While she can see their faces, the sounds of their voices is long forgotten.

"Back Lack sets out tomorrow with some of the others to sink the shipment of stones," Merlyn states. She shifts her head forcing Arthur to lift his own. "Are you ready to stand against Vortigern and his armies?" She asks meeting his gaze.

"I have to be, don't I?" Arthur murmurs. Merlyn smiles hugging his arm slightly tighter.

"You're more ready than you think, Arthur. You should see yourself when you lead them, it suits you. You have the loyalty and love of these men,"

"And what of you?" Arthur questions pressing his forehead against hers. "Do I have your loyalty?"

"Need you ask?" Merlyn whispers with a soft grin. Arthur smirks lifting his free hand towards her. His calloused hand caresses her cheek.

"And what of your love?" Arthur whispers his face coming closer to hers, their noses brushing against each other.

"You have my heart, mind and soul, Arthur Pendragon," Merlyn confesses to him. "I am yours, always"

Merlyn closes the gap between the two, pressing her lips against his lightly. His hand glides from her cheek to the back of her neck. Despite his hands being riddled with callouses, his lips are as soft as silk. Merlyn pulls back briefly to gage his reaction. He only allows her a moment before pulling her back to him.

Merlyn smiled leaning into him. She sighs softly as the hairs of his beard rub against the skin around her mouth. She rather enjoyed the feeling and couldn't imagine him without one.

"And what of you, my born king?" She whispers her finger tips gliding from his cheek to his chin. She gently tugs on his beard causing his eyes to darken a degree. "I am yours, are you mine?" She asks wanting to hear him say it, needing to hear his voice confirming that he is as much hers as she is his.

"I don't have a penny to my name, not anymore, but all that I am is yours so long as you are mine," He promises to her.

"I have no desire for riches, just you by my side," She tells him. She holds his gaze for a moment longer before resting her head on his shoulder. Arthur holds her closer, more tenderly than he previously had. She smiles feeling his lips press against the top of her head where they linger for multiple seconds.

"Then by your side is where I shall stay but will you stay by mine?" He asks her. Merlyn lifts her head once more. 

"Your path is to Camelot, mine will lead me elsewhere, but I promise you, I will always return to you" She declares to him. Arthur slowly shakes his head. "Don't fight me on this tonight, please" She begs him.

"Tonight, I'll let it go," Merlyn smiles shaking her head.

"Stubborn as a mule," She whispers regripping his chin lightly. "Truly a family trait," She teases him lightly. He grumbles under his breath while leaning towards her. She gladly accepts his kiss finding them to be addicting.