Chapter Six

*My computer is being stupid so no Gif, love y'all  though*

"You have visitors," Merlyn tells Arthur as they arrive back at camp. The born king glances at her curiously before looking forward again. His body relaxes and his eyes light up slightly at the sight of his life long friends waiting for him. "Go, talk to them, I have things to discuss with Bedivere"

"Things? What things?" Arthur asks as they dismount their horses.

"Things that do not concern you at the moment," Merlyn says with a small smirk. All Merlyn wants is for Arthur to focus on defeating his uncle and becoming king. She worries if his attention is on much else then he would fail and she couldn't let that happen.

"Are you hiding things from your king?" Arthur questions teasingly. The two tie their horses off before walking inside. 

"You're not king yet, love" Merlyn says patting his back. She then nods to Arthur's friends who nod politely back. Merlyn could see curiosity burning in their eyes but ignores it for the time being.

She turns towards Bedivere and motions for him to follow her. He moves away from his horse and enters the room Merlyn chose for their discussion. Only when she had his attention did she start.

 "You fought for Uther, did you not?" Merlyn questions glancing towards him.

"I did," Bedivere nods. "I was in command of his armies but fled when Vortigern took over," 

"Do you believe there are men in the army that will be loyal to Arthur?" Merlyn questions.

"There are men who are loyal to the crown, no matter who wears it" Bedivere explains. "There are also men who simply want a paycheck. Others are loyal to Uther but are too afraid to go against Vortigern and then the ones who are loyal to the current king" Merlyn slowly nods. "I know some who will be loyal to Arthur,"

"Can you get to them?" Merlyn questions. "We need every man"

"I'll spread the word"

"Discretely" Merlyn says quickly. "Word will get out but hopefully not until it's too late," Bedivere nods. "When this battle is over, continue to recruit. We will need to build the army. We will still be at war"

"Mordred" Bedivere names.

"And Morgana, Morgause" Merlyn adds to the list. "We are severely outnumbered" She whispers.

"We take down Vortigern and Arthur becomes king, it will be a giant step in our favor" Merlyn nods in agreement. "Then with you and Arthur working together, you'll be unstoppable"

"Arthur will stay in Camelot, he will protect the people" Merlyn says sternly while eyeing him.

"Are you keeping him in Camelot to protect the people or keep him away from the action?" Bedivere questions raising an eyebrow.

"If he dies, all is lost" Merlyn tells him. "He's far too important"

"So are you," Bedivere reminds her. "You two are stronger together than you will ever be apart. If you wish to win this war, you're going to need him by your side"

"We'll debate Arthur's future roll in this war after he becomes king," Merlyn decides her tone demanding Bedivere to drop the subject.

"As you wish," Bedivere steps back. "Just remember, Arthur isn't Uther. They don't have to share the same fate." Merlyn lowers her gaze towards the map. Bedivere says no more and leaves the room to herself.

Merlyn sighs slowly before leaving the room as well. She hears Arthur talking to his friends and decides to leave them on their own. She continues onward when a young boy appears in front of her.