CHAPTER IV

Later that night, I yet again still couldn't fall asleep. The full moon outside my window seemingly pushed open my curtains as the light shone through, brightening me room. Getting up for the third time that night, I walked over to the window to shut the curtains, but instead I found myself staring out the window. Looking out at the forest, I felt a tug to go outside, to take a walk, or maybe a run? Oh who was I kidding, I didn't run. I couldn't run and you can thank my asthma for that. The only thing I didn't mind about having it was how much gym it got me out of. Shaking off the magnetic like pull I was feeling, I closed my curtains and laid back in bed. Closing my eyes, I slowly felt myself drifting off to sleep. Taylor. I heard something sing my name, almost as if it were whispering. Sitting up in bed scared, I looked around my room but I was alone. Looking towards my door, I saw it was closed. Taylor. I heard my name being sung again.

    "H-hello?" I asked quietly, making sure not to disturb my father. I continued to hear my name being whispered in a sing-song tone, calling for me as if it wanted me to follow and for some odd reason, I did. Getting out of my now ruined bed, I slipped on my shoes that were laying around aimlessly on the floor as if I had no control of my body. My mind told me to follow it, making my body follow it. But I also couldn't help but thinking this was some type of trap. Walking to the door, I opened it slowly, making sure the squeaking hinges didn't make too loud a noise. After a good half a minute, I had successfully managed to open my door with no sound. Stepping into the hall the whispering got louder, the sing song voice calling my name replaced with one that called me hurriedly, as if trying to get me to rush. Looking back and forth through the loft that looked over the kitchen and living room, my body pulled me to the left, towards the stairs. The whispers, slowly they got louder and louder, faster and faster with every step I took.

    TAYLOR, TAYLOR, TAYLOR, TAYLOR, TAYLOR! TAYLOR! TAYLOR! TAYLOR! The whispering started to yell. As much as I wanted to stop, turn around, and walk away I couldn't. The whispering... as fearful as it was, it was so... so hypnotic. Walking through the living room, my name was being called on repeat as if it were being played on a broken record player, the whispering of gibberish that I couldn't quite make out wasn't as loud, but still there. "Who's there!?" I asked a little louder now that my father was upstairs. But much to my demise, it didn't respond back, it only got louder. TAYLOR TAYLOR TAYLOR TAYLOR!!!!!" The voice was now basically screaming my name but still in a whisper. I could feel a headache start to form in the front of my forehead. Walking down the hall across from the living room, the voices led me to a double wood doors before silencing. Only, they weren't silenced, they were just quieter.

    Reaching for the handles, I started to twist them. Click click click. It was locked. Of course it was locked, why wouldn't it be? I rolled my eyes. Suddenly the voices stopped completely, but not before whispering my name in a sing-song voice once more. Shaking my head, I stumbled backwards, the wall catching my fall. Pinching the bridge of my nose to try stopping my headache or whatever pinching the bridge of your nose did, I felt like I had just woken up from sleeping. Standing up off the wall, I was puzzled. Had I gone crazy and imagined all of the whispering? No, that couldn't have explained why I was being pulled towards this room. Whoever was behind this door was calling to me, they wanted me to find them. I didn't know how I knew what they wanted, but I did. But finding them was a task for another day, like tomorrow not tonight when I should have been in bed. Walking the way I came, I felt a tug in my mind. I suddenly felt like I needed to go outside, maybe walk? Or run? Before I could even make the decision for myself, I turned left down the hall and started walking towards the front door.

    Unlocking it, I knew I shouldn't have left the house. Not this late at night, not with what happened to me last time I was outside when it was getting dark. I made sure to close the door quietly behind me as I left, not wanting my father to know that I was leaving the house so late at night. Letting my legs lead the direction they wanted to take me, I started walking behind my grandparents creepy yellow farmhouse, it's outside weathered from years of rain and sun beating down on it with no maintenance, it's shingles cracked and threatening to fall off sometime soon. I took one last glance at the house behind me before I continued walking towards the woods, the tugging in my head tugging me harder. As I walked towards the woods, my heart started to race once again, telling me I shouldn't stop and turn back. Managing to stop both myself and the tugging I felt at the forest line where my grandparents lawn met the woods, I took in a few deep breaths. As much as I didn't want to continue forward like my heart told me not to, my mind told me too. It told me it was safe, that I could fend for myself if anything came my way. And for some stupid reason, I believed it. Taking my first step into the dark forest I didn't truly want to enter, I let go of the breath I didn't realize I was holding. "Well it's now or never" I spoke out loud to myself trying to convince myself that I would have to go into the woods eventually so why not do it now?