iii

BASILTON

As he walked into the cafeteria, Basilton couldn't help but glance over at Simon's face: his mouth was gaping unattractively, blue eyes wide with horror and anger. There were few things Basilton enjoyed more than seeing Simon's attention centered purely on him. But he didn't have to know that.

Turning his gaze to Wellbelove, Basilton smirked and brushed her hair back from her face, leaning down to whisper compliments in her ear. She was truly a beautiful girl, and maybe he could learn to live with her by his side. His family had been questioning his relationship status lately, all "When will you get a girlfriend?" and "Are you so socially inept that you can't snatch a woman?" It was tiring, to say the least, having to deal with constant degrading comments at all times of the day. A respectable and well-bred girl like Wellbelove on his arm would do more than cease the commentary; they'd be begging for grandchildren by the end of the custom introductory dinner. Not to mention, it would do both of them some good, if his theory about her was correct.

Her giggle brought him out of his thoughts, long eyelashes batting up at him.

"So, Basilton..." she whispered, twirling a strand of his too-long hair around her finger. "Would you like to sit with me, Penny, and Simon for lunch? Or do you want to go somewhere else?"

"Actually, I need to stop by at the music room and put some practice in. I have a concert coming up, so I need to make sure I know how to play everything flawlessly."

"Oh, but you already do, Bazzie," Agatha frowned. "I'm sure you're already the star of the production."

Basilton shook his head. "There's never too much practice. Besides, I have a solo. And don't call me Bazzie—you know how the Old Families are with nicknames."

"Oh, but I thought we could just use them here, between the two of us," Agatha visibly deflated. "You can call me Aggie or Ags... we can be the power couple of the school."

"Is that all you want me for?"

"No! No, I would never-"

Basilton smirked. "You know what I think? I think you're hiding something. Not just from the world, but from yourself. I think you want us to be this 'power couple' so you can avoid thinking about the things that matter. Or, to be precise... thinking about a girl?"

Agatha flushed, but her expression gave her away. "No, why would you think th-"

"Goodbye Wellbelove," Basilton said, cutting her off. "Have a nice day. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

Striding out of the cafeteria and towards the music room, he dispelled Wellbelove from his mind and focused on his music pieces. The melody in the second piece always threw him off, no matter how hard he focused or strained for the quick change. His mother had taught him well, and he knew his way nearly flawlessly around a violin, but the others seemed to expect more of his playing than Basilton was sure he could do. He wasn't sure how to exceed expectations when the expectations were already much higher than he could handle. But he was a Pitch, and he always exceeded expectations, even if it killed him.

Sooner than he had expected, the music building loomed up in front of him, the faint sounds of tubas and clarinets greeting him as he walked by the band section. Band, in his opinion, was undignified—too raucous and out of control. Orchestra, however, was sweet and smooth, flowing like a river if played right. Cellos, violins, violas, double bass, and the occasional harp—all combining wonderfully to create the most majestic of sounds. Elegant, sophisticated.

Undoubtedly Pitch.