6. His Heart Condition

It wasn’t until late at night were you able to pick up your brother from the orphanage that ahjumma was taking care of. You had your responsibilities as a manager to uphold and you were determined to do it.

Leaving Baekhyun to rest back in the dorm; and plus you were sure that the latter didn’t want to be bothered, you drove to the company to pick up the tired members after their long hours of practicing. The drive back home was quite quiet since everyone was either passed out in the back, or just didn’t have the energy to open their mouths.

*They’re really giving it their all before their comeback huh?* You were like a proud mom watching over your little children fulfilling their goal. But it was wrong to feel that way in this kind of situation.

“Make sure you guys shower before going to bed! And Kyungsoo, i left the hot packs by your bed” You yelled out of the car window. They didn’t reply or did any sort of gestures to let you know that they heard so you were just hoping that you wouldn’t find anyone sick the day after.

After that was over, you found yourself pulling up to the familiar brick building that you grew up with. Or what you vaguely remember when you were little if you weren’t moving back and forth from foster homes. Maybe it was because it was past midnight, but the place looked eerily calm. The only source of light was the sidewalk lamp post that casted an orange glow on the front door.

You rang the doorbell to the house but quickly regretted your decision. It probably sounded throughout the house and woke up the other children. Something behind the door clicked several times, like locks that were turning till it stopped and the door creaked open.

“Ahjumma! I’m sorry, did i wake up the kids?” She realized you were talking about your reckless decision of ringing the door bell.

“No no, everyone’s still up watching a movie. They wanted to keep Taemin companied until you came”

And with that said, sounds of little feet came running behind the door. “Noonaaaa!” A cute little voice yelled as he ran into your arms.

You scooped him up, planting kisses on his cheeks. You didn’t realize the extent of his presence in your life until he wasn’t next to you. He wrapped his little arms around your neck, even though they didn’t clasp together, it was ok.

“I missed you very much noona” He buried his face in the crook of your neck.

“Me too…” Tears were filling up to the brim, but you blinked it back.You could tell in his voice that he was holding back his own tears, trying to be strong. Rubbing his back gently, you wanted to let him know that everything was ok, he didn’t have to be strong by himself anymore. You were there, ready to be the support he needed to lean on.

“Thank you ahjumma, good night”

And with that, you made your way back into the car. You drove while Taemin sat in the passenger seat, telling you about the movie that everyone had been watching. It was obvious that the boy was tired by the amount of time that he had to stop mid-sentence to yawn. *Bed time right after we get home* You told your self.

But before that, you had to make sure the members were doing ok. “Alright Taemin-ah, i want you to be really good for me ok?” You kneel down to his eye level. He had a confused look on his face but you continued, “There’s some people i want you to meet”

“New people…?” It was that uneasy look that you knew all so much about. Taemin hated strangers the most in the world, and he would probably eat all of the vegetables you give him than have to talk to one.

“Hey, it’ll be ok. They’re very nice people” You grabbed both of his shaking hands, squeezing it lightly once in a while. *Well… most of them are anyways* Baekhyun’s face immediately popped into your head.