Answered Prayers

With a sigh, she plopped on her bed as soon as she entered her house. It's been 3 days since she even saw her bed. Long shifts at the hospital are definitely not easy. Looking around she came across the new bedsheets her mum had brought and strictly instructed to use them on the occasion of Eid, were now neatly covering her fluffy bed. She got up from her bed only to take a look at the rest of the house. Everything was spick and span like it is during Eid. What was unusual was, Ramadhan was too far so Eid was not even in the context.

"What is going on Ammi?" She asked her mom in confusion.

"What do you mean what is going on?" Her mom asked.

"This whole preparation for some unknown occasion?"

"Do you have an off tomorrow?" Her mom asked back as it was the most natural thing to avoid her question.

"I guess, not sure. Why?"

"Then take one, a guy's family is coming to see you. Also, please wear something good tomorrow." Her mom answered in a casual tone.

"What? How could you even agree to it Ammi? I already told you I don't have time for all this. Why don't you guys understand?" She said in frustration.

"Look, you wanted to do a job, we allowed you. Now, you're using it as an excuse to delay your marriage. You can continue your job even after your marriage. Also, you agreed to get married when you were in your 2nd year, so what happened now?" Her mom confronted her.

"Things change ma. Plans change. People change. Do whatever you want." She said in a harsh tone and locked herself in her room.

She placed her prayer mat and sat there in silence. No words, no emotions just a blank stare for a long while.

After about a long time a tear left her eyes, and a whole lot many tears followed that one. Yet she didn't bother to wipe them.

"It's been years since I talked to You about this Ya Rabb. I have been avoiding this conversation for years now. I thought my studies and my career would take me away from this. But see, here I am, again, with the same old problems, same old prayers. I know, You must have closed that door for my good, but I can't let go. I thought, after all these years, it would be easy to forget and move on. But today, after even thinking of getting married to someone else scares me. I can never replace him, not even in my thoughts. Please help me get through this. I will do as my parents say, as I can't ruin their happiness. I don't want to give that share of my heart, my love, my life to anyone else, not even after all these years. A miracle is all I ask for."

She prayed to her Lord, with tears flowing from her eyes, her prayer mat was wet again.

The tiredness she felt after a 3-day long hospital shift was nothing compared to what she felt now. She didn't realize when sleep took over her.

The next day, everything went on as her mom wanted. She wore a white embroidered purple colored saree which actually belonged to her mom. Because of course, her closet consisted of nothing but hoodies, t-shirts, and simple kurtis.

The guests had arrived. She was not even allowed to see them. She stayed in her room waiting to be called. After a while, her mom told her that the guy wanted to talk to her. She was amused as to how her parents even agreed to this. No wonder Indian parents can do anything when it comes to arranged marriages. She waited for the guy to come. But what she saw was something she never even thought of.

He was wearing a black Pathani. His hair a mess, but a perfect mess. He still had her ring as his locket. He hadn't changed much, except his body was more structured now. He still towered over her with his 6.2" height or has it increased now? Looking at her, he smiled. The smile she was longing to see for years. The only smile she would mirror a smile for. The smile that was proof that all her prayers had come true.

"I always told you that you'd look gorgeous in a saree. Only if you'd listen." He said with a smile, showing off his dimples.

Nothing had ever been more soothing than hearing his voice after so long. Her eyes let loose some tears, but the smile on her face proved it they were tears of happiness.

"Also, I heard you weren't ready for this meeting. Will it be more difficult to convince you for nikah now?" He asked in a playful tone.

"Because I don't want to waste any more time, past years have been a torment. Also, I was thinking 6th July would be a perfect date to get married. You know, our anniversary? " He said with hope in his voice.

Hearing that, she hugged him. He enclosed her in his arms. It felt like their souls were put back into their bodies. All their prayers were finally answered. After those years of heartbreak, patience and belief in their Lord really won.

No wonder, prayers are always accepted. No wonder, soulmates always end up together.