Chapter 9 | All of Those Moments

I looked up to see Hoseok holding both Jimin and Taehyung. I pulled my arms from Yoongi and Namjoon, quickly pulling my sleeves back down to hide the evidence of my past. I removed Jin’s now limp arms from my waist. I moved away from them as they all watched me, as if I’m some animal they have to protect, but I’m not. They probably think I am one of their projects to fix. 

“I told you I don’t want your help,” I said, walking past Taehyung to grab my bags, “You broke something for once and now you can’t fix it. These scars will be on my arms for the rest of my life. I’ve learned to accept it so don’t make such a big deal of it.”

“Kook,” Jin said holding hands with Namjoon, “We don’t want you to hurt yourself.”

“I’ve already done that in more ways than one, Seokjin,” I retaliated, looking at my elder, “Did you ever think that maybe I would like to know that you were leaving? Have time to plan? But no, Jungkook is too young to remember. It won’t matter, he’ll just make new friends.”

“Jungkook, please,” Taehyung pleaded from where Hoseok was still holding him firmly against his chest along with Jimin.

“But I didn’t make new friends, I liked the friends I had. I prayed that one day you would come back, but you never did. At least one of you would have been enough. Finally, I figured out that I don’t need to rely on people in life, that I shouldn’t,” I said looking at the group of people who for years I hoped would return.

I wanted to be with them, but they were so different. They knew each other, they knew how to talk to a person in public and not have a panic attack. I didn’t. After they left I isolated myself from the rest of the kids at my school because they weren’t them. I never learned social skills, I never learned how to have a normal conversation with a person.

Instead, I learned how to use a camera. That hunk of metal became the sole thing I could rely on. Some people's friends’ knew all of their favorite moments. My camera was the only one to know mine. All of those moments were plastered throughout the house; most of them polaroids tacked to a wall in the main room.

“But you deserve to have people in your life,” Jimin said, prying his way out of Hoseok’s hold, making his way to me. As he came closer, I took a step back to keep distance.