Chapter 6: Hogsmeade

It was the first weekend of October and therefore the Hogwarts students' first, very anticipated, Hogsmeade weekend. Newt, Leta and Tina walk up to the village at a comfortable pace, none of them are in any rush to get to the stores, unlike many of their peers who are practically running to the small shops. Especially third years who have never been to the small village before and are very enthusiastic about it.

Unfortunately Queenie wasn't allowed to come because she's only a second year, much to her annoyance. Begging hadn't worked for her, but Tina had promised to buy her something from one of the stores. It had made Queenie a little less annoyed about it, but she was still rather irritated by the whole ordeal.

"So this is your first time in Hogsmeade?" Leta asks.

Tina nods. "Well yeah," she replies. "This is my first time in the UK too."

Leta laughs, practically face palming. "Of course. I'm an idiot."

Newt snorts.

"Honestly, I'm lucky I still got to come after I set off those dungbombs in Prendergast's office," Leta says with a laugh.

Tina raises her brows, but doesn't say anything. She just looks at Newt, who shrugs nonchalantly, all too used to Leta's shenanigans by now.

"I would have gotten away with it too, if Newt would help me make Polyjuice potion," Leta says. "He's brilliant at Potions, you see."

"I really don't think giving you Polyjuice is a good idea," Newt says.

Leta scoffs in mock offense. "Says the one who has a stash of his brother in his room."

Tina stifles a giggle behind her hand.

"I don't use them anymore!" Newt says, hurriedly. He looks down at the ground. "Theseus had a fit when he caught me last time..."

Leta sighs exasperatedly. "Blimey, Newt," she says. "I told you to be more careful."

Newt shrugs.

They stop just before the shops start. Tina looks down the crowded street with wonder in her eyes. They practically sparkle as she takes it all in, an expression of awe on her face. Newt can't help but smile at that, a warm feeling spreading in his chest. He shares a look with Leta, who smirks bemusedly.

"Is it true that there aren't any wizarding-only villages in America?" Leta asks.

Tina shakes her head. "Not that I know of, no."

"Well - I'm going to Zonko's Joke Shop first," Leta says, jovially, and starts walking towards it confidently. "There are a few things I need to buy."

Newt purses his lips. It sounds like Leta is looking for more trouble, which rarely turns out well. For him or her. She always has a way with dragging him into her messes, too caught up in her own world sometimes to notice. Sometimes, too cunning and persuasive for her - and his - own good. Not that he ever was a stickler to the rules either. He's always too much of a Hufflepuff to let her go down alone.

Besides, someone has to make sure she doesn't hurt herself in the process.

They glance at each other and quickly follow behind Leta, jogging to catch up with her. She stops in from of the door for a second, before grabbing the handle and opening the door.

The shop is full, filled to the brink with people. All of which are chattering loudly between themselves. Newt quickly swallows down the feeling of discomfort and walks in with Leta and Tina.

They squeeze past a group of fourth years towards a shelf by the register. Leta glances at the artifacts thoughtfully. Her eyes settle on some Hiccough Sweets. She picks up a tin and inspects it.