Chapter 13

Chapter 13

" You look beautiful." Meriel said as she adjusted the sleeves of my dress. I was wearing what she called a wool kirtle with damask sleeves. The dress was dark blue with lighter colored sleeves which were decorated in a rose like dark grey pattern. " Do I really have to wear this? Why I can't I wear clothes like the ones before?"

" Ladies wear dresses, Alicia, not trousers."

" Well, I'm not a lady, and girls in my world haven't dressed like this for decades." I said, and she made a face. " Well, you're not in your world anymore. If it makes you feel better, you can wear what you want when you begin your lessons with Prince Legolas." She told me, and I let out a sigh before stepping off the raised platform. " I'll be right back with lunch, don't wonder off." Meriel said, gathering up her sewing supplies and the dresses we both agreed didn't work, before disappearing out the door.

" Not like I can go anywhere." I muttered with a sigh, before I moved out onto the balcony, pressing my back to the doorframe as I stared out at the trees of the forest, and the courtyard down below where I could see Legolas talking with a red-haired elf in green. They glanced up at me as if sensing my presence, and quickly moved away as I attempted a friendly wave. I released another breath, closing my eyes as I leaned back against the frame.

" They'll come around." A voice said, and my eyes shot open to find a young girl sitting on railing of the balcony. Her grey eyes gleamed as she smiled, her blonde hair catching the breeze slightly as it passed. She was dressed in clothes from my world: a t-shirt, jeans, and old sneakers.

"W... Who are you?" I asked confused.

Where had she come from?

" Same place you did." She responded, before standing up and moving passed me into the room. Did she-

" Yep." She called out.

" Look, I don't know who you are, but-" I started to say, shaking off my stunned look, but she cut me off as she turned to face me. " My name is Aria Stone. I have powers, just like you, one being the ability to read minds. I was sent here to help you."

" You know how to get home?" I questioned, hopeful, and she nodded. " Show me." I said, rushing over to her in excitement.

" It doesn't work like that, Alice." She told me pulling away, when I grabbed her arm.

" But you said-" 

" Destiny has a plan for you, Alicia Stevens, just as it did with me." She stated squeezing my shoulder, and I frowned watching as she backed away toward the balcony. " I'll be here if you need me, but you'll have to figure out the way home on your own." As she reached the balcony her form turned to dust and blew away with the wind.

********

" He's not going to throw another knife at me, is he?" I asked as Meriel did my hair, and she rolled her eyes but smiled at me in the mirror. Thranduil had invited me to have dinner with him later that night with him and his son. I wore a dark blue gown with a design of golden leaves on the sleeves. Meriel had just finished pinning up my hair, when she let out a gasp, the brush slipping from her hand.

" What?" I questioned, looking up at her in the mirror, but she shook her head. " Nothing. Nothing." She whispered picking up the brush, and I frowned but before I could press her further a knock at the door pulled my attention away, and Meriel hurried to answer it. I stood up to follow, only to stumble forward as a wave of dizziness flew through me. I blinked away the lights in my vision, putting it off as the remaining results of my head injury, and moved toward the door where Meriel stood talking with the king.

His eyes widened when he saw me, and I bowed my had to him in greeting to him, curling my leg behind the other in an attempt at a small curtsey, like Meriel had showed me but as I came back up I lost my balance. Instead of falling on my face, like I had expected to do, arms caught me. " Careful." Thranduil said steadying me, and my face burned in response.

" Shall we?" He asked offering his arm, and I took it after a moment hesitation. I glanced back at Meriel as we departed, to find her watching us with odd knowing look on her face.

What was with her?

What do you think Meriel saw?

What do you think of Aria's sudden appearance?