Chapter 17

Chapter 17

We were sitting in my room discussing the upcoming ball, when Meriel seemed to realize. " Oh, I almost forgot." She exclaimed, setting her cup down and moving toward the mirror. " This was dropped off for you during your training session." She said lifting up something wrapped in a dark cloth. She handed it to me, and I set my cup down so that I could prop it up on my knee and unwrap it to reveal a sheathed blade.

Meriel let out a gasp, and I looked up at her, before getting up and pulling the sword free. My eyes widened in fascination as the light hit the blade, before swung it a few times to test the weight like Thranduil had showed me. " It's beautiful." Meriel said.

" It is called Rift." A voice said, and we turned to find Thranduil standing in the doorway. " I was going to have one made for you, but Lord Elrond seemed convinced that you might find one of more sentimental value more appealing." He said as I tilted it slightly with a frown, before realization hit me, and I slid the sword back into its sheath.

" Thank you." I said, before trumpets sounded from outside, and he turned to leave." What's going on?" I asked as he hurried away. 

" Stay in your room. Don't let her leave." He called out, closing the door behind him, and I made a face before looking over at the blonde, who shrugged. She took Rift from me, saying something about putting it in a safe place, and I flopped down on the bed in boredom once the door had closed behind her. After a few minutes, I got back up and moved to the balcony when I heard yelling outside.

Below, a bunch of elven soldiers were leading a large group toward the gates, behind them was Legolas dressed in armor, unlike when I had seen him earlier. What was going on?

" Want to find out?" Someone said, and I turned to find Aria smirking at me from a now open door. My eyes widened before I rushed into the hallway to find the two elves who usually stood guard asleep on the floor. " What did you-"

" They won't remember a thing. Now go. You won't want to miss this." Aria said, before vanishing, and I glanced down the hall with a frown, before quickly hurrying toward the throne room where I knew Thranduil would be. I paused as I reached the end of the hallway that opened up into the large treelike cavern that made up the throne room. I could hear what was being said but couldn't see who he was talking to.

" Focus." I heard Aria whisper to me, and I glanced behind me before picturing the place behind Thranduil's throne. Everything shifted, and I had to bite my cheek to hold back the gasp that nearly escaped when I found myself exactly where I wanted to be. " Some may imagine that a noble quest is at a hand. A quest to reclaim a homeland... and slay a dragon." Thranduil said, and my eyes widened.

Dragons? Aria had said that the tattoo was supposed to show me the way. Was that what I was supposed to do? Help slay a dragon.

" Attempted burglary. Or something of that ilk." Thranduil continued, and I peeked around to find him leaning around a short man with dark hair, covered in what looked like cobwebs. " You found a way in. You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule." Thranduil backed toward his throne, his arms crossed behind him. " The king's jewel. The Arkenstone. It is precious to you beyond measure. I understand." I couldn't see his face, but I had a feeling that he was smirking." There are gems in the mountain that I too desire. White gems of pure starlight. I offer you, my help."

" I am listening." The dark-haired man said.

" I will let you go, if you but return what is mine."

" A favor for a favor." The dark man contemplated turning away.

" You have my word. One king to another." Thranduil swore, and I frowned. It was a good deal, but I had feeling it wasn't going to be that easy to persuade him. " I would not trust Thranduil, the great king, to honor his word should the end of all days be upon us." He said before turning on king in anger." You, who lack all honor. I have seen how you treat your friends. We came to you once, starving, homeless, seeking your help. But you turned your back. You turned away from the suffering of my people, and the inferno that destroyed us." He yelled, before speaking several words that I couldn't understand, but Thranduil did and rushed toward the man, leaning toward him once more.

" Do not speak of me of dragon's fire." Thranduil hissed, and my eyes widened at the venom in his voice. " I know its wrath and ruin. I have faced the great serpents of the north." He said, and for the first time he turned away from him. My eyes widened at the sight of the receding scars on his face, and he turned back around, his eyes narrowed. " I warned your grandfather of what his greed would summon. But he would not listen. You are just like him." He told him climbing the stairs of his throne and motioning with his hand. 

" Stay here if you will, and rot. " He called as the dark-haired man was dragged away. " A hundred years is a mere blink in the life of an Elf. I'm patient. I can wait." 

My heart pounded in my chest, but as I was about to leave the way I came, Thranduil spoke again." I told you to stay in your room, Alicia."

I let out a sigh before coming out of hiding, to find him sitting back on his throne, his legs crossed as he stared after the now prisoner. " How did you get in here?" He questioned curiously, and I bit my lip but as I started to explain, he waved me off. " Never mind." He muttered, and I rolled my eyes.

" Who is he?" I asked

" Thorin of the clan Durin." He responded. " He and several of his kin were found wondering within our borders, much like you were. "

" They just want their home back. What's so special about a bunch of diamonds?" I asked, and annoyance flickered in his eyes. " It's none of your concern, Alicia."

" Why not?"

" Because I say it isn't." He snapped, shooting to his feet, and I looked away as he started down the stairs of his throne toward me. " Stay away from the dwarfs. Dont forget what I told you, Alicia Stevens." He said, and I glared at him, before storming down the stairs.