Wishes

It's all a bit of a daze when they're on their way back from the Christmas party. They sit in the back of the automated cab, both properly buckled in per Nines' request. It makes resuming their little make out session from before a little impossible, though the android is still capable of rendering Gavin to a useless pile of sappy gay, a state Gavin never thought he'd possibly achieve. Yet here he is, desperately trying to choke back all the little noises that are caused by Nines, who has made it his mission to worship Gavin's hands.

He traces his long fingers over every tendon and vein, pausing at every freckle, scar or other mark he can find. Every now and then his long fingers disappear underneath the cuff of Gavin's jacket and that shouldn't be so hot, but it is, and if Nines would perform a scan right now he would notice how Gavin's core temperature has raised several degrees.

When Nines raises Gavin's hand to his mouth, kissing his fingertips reverently, one by one, his tongue darting out for a quick taste of the index finger, Gavin's brain practically combusts on the spot.

Nines has to actually open the door of the taxi for him, taking him by the hand to get him out. Gavin could blame it on the alcohol, were it not that the whole mistletoe situation sobered him up quite a bit. No, this is purely Nines' doing, with his wish for a romantic relationship with Gavin and immediately tipping it over to the point of body worshipping. And these are just his hands! At this point, Gavin doesn't think he will survive any of Nines' other wishes.

As if he can read Gavin's mind - although, let's be honest, he probably just read his off the chart vitals, Nines gives Gavin a change to catch his breath when they are inside the apartment. He directs the detective to the couch, disappearing into the kitchen to make a cup of tea.

Gavin sits on his couch, too wound up to sit back into the cushions. Sid looks up at him from his place in the armchair; he blinks at his owner's distress and yawns exaggeratedly, before tucking his paws in and resting his furry little head on the pillow again.

He can hear Nines in the kitchen, talking softly to Tiny over the sound of the water cooker. Cabinets open and close, there's the sound of the tin that holds the tea bags and the voice of the android who gently scolds the white cat for jumping up on the counter.

Things are the way they always are. Or, at least, the way they have been for a while now. Gavin's new normal, with the cats and his partner as a permanent fixture in his home.

Except, everything is different now.

Even through the vast, blank space that is his brain at the moment, Gavin knows he likes it, he likes it so much his heart is soaring through the clouds. In fact, it is soaring so high that it has him terrified. He has lost his footing, he is grappling for something to anchor him, something to help him navigate this new situation.

The tall android appears in his vision, rounding the sofa with a mug of tea in his hand. He places it on the coffee table and sits down in his usual spot to Gavin's right. Nines rests against the back of the couch, stretching his long legs out in front of him.

Gavin can only stare.

Calmly, his partner brings his right hand up to loosen his tie. The gesture is entirely human, just like the way he places his left arm along the backrest, his hand coming up near Gavin's arm.

He expects the touch, Nines long fingers curling around his bicep, squeezing gently before loosening again, his thumb rubbing softly over the fabric of Gavin's dress shirt. Still, it has Gavin tensing up, goosebumps spreading out over his back, all the way up to his neck.

"Are you alright, Gavin?" Nines seeks his eyes, his hand stilling on the detective's arm.

He swallows heavily, forcing himself to nod. Then he nods again. "Yeah," he croaks, his face flushing terribly. This whole thing has him flustered like a high schooler.