I. #Meet & Greet

The Sunday late afternoon sun in Accra was scorching to say the least and Olivia took her precious time to exit the taxi while the taxi driver removed her luggage from the boot of his car

The Sunday late afternoon sun in Accra was scorching to say the least and Olivia took her precious time to exit the taxi while the taxi driver removed her luggage from the boot of his car. He then proceeded to carry them through the smaller gate of their destination and into the compound. Olivia waited by the car, using her hand to protect what part of her face she could, whilst the driver sent in her suitcase, her two extra-large jute bags and her carry-on bag. When he returned, she took out 2 crisp fifty Ghana cedi notes from her purse and gave them to him. He took the fare with a huge satisfactory grin on his face and after a quick bow he rushed to his seat of the car and drove off, quite speedily, on the empty road. Only one thing could elicit such an ecstatic response from Ghanaian drivers, and that was huge tip. He had carried in all of her luggage alone though, he certainly deserved it.

Her two-inch heel sandals made small clicking noises as she strode in through the small gate. Before her was the building apartment that was to be her living establishment for the last few months she had in Paramount University. She stood in front of it for some time, her plain black handbag strapped on her shoulder, her green knee-length lace flare dress flying around as she folded her arms and inspected her 'new home'.

The compound was neat - perhaps recently swept, a set of 5 drying lines were situated at the far end of the building and at the other end, a medium-sized polytank (A brand of durable plastic containers used mainly for water storage) . A few flower pots were scattered here and there, empty of course. The building itself looked like it had been painted not long ago, though it did not cover up the fact that - in her opinion - it was a poor excuse for an apartment. She could just make out the kitchen and bedroom from their open doors and she squeezed her lips together in distaste.

All the guises of seriousness in the world could not mask her disappointment. This was not what she had been promised. Her last days in Paramount University were supposed to be spent in a single bedroom apartment for one and it was to be of at least a second class upper appearance. This was less than that of a second class lower and with every second she stood looking at it she liked it less and less. Her father was really taking this punishment thing too far just because her results from the previous semester weren't encouraging. That was the only semester she had scored a GPA below 3.5; her brother brought home much worse results and he yet he had his own apartment. All she had to do was rack in a higher GPA for this semester and get accepted into medical school, then her father will finally see her importance.

Taking a deep breath, she willed herself to take hold of her suitcase handle and her carry-on bag and continued to the entrance of the four-in-one bedroom. Pushing the door wide open she walked in to meet the stares of two girls. One was laying on her bed which faced the door and the other just stepped out of what Olivia presumed to be the washroom - her hands still had a bit of moisture on them.

The face of the one on the bed lit up and she quickly jumped off, walking towards Olivia, hand outstretched. The other just gave a nod and sat on a nearby bed, where she picked up her phone, after wiping her palms on her shorts.