VI. #Opportunity; You Either Find It Or It Finds You

"Hey

"Hey." Yaa Dufie greeted cheerfully as she entered the room. "How was class today?"

"Nothing extraordinary. Everything was just normal." Jackie replied sullenly, sitting at Olivia's desk, fingers typing away on her mobile phone.

"Then why am I not feeling your vibe today. It seems to me that you're a bit dull." Yaa Dufie said, pulling off her wig and hanging it on a nail - a few of them had been hammered into the side of her locker.

"Well, that's because I'm sad." Jackie rolled her eyes in frustration and threw her phone on her bed - lightly though, she wasn't prepared to buy a new one.

"Why?" Olivia asked startling both of them. She was lying on her bed; eyes closed, hands on top of her chest, legs extended - creepily, like a corpse.

"My plan to gain an easy passage to work as a broadcast journalist at one of the best TV stations in Ghana, precisely TV3, didn't pull through."

"Wait, I thought you did your internship last year. I thought we all did." Yaa Dufie said, looking in her locker for something comfortable to wear.

"Not me." Olivia said, eyes still closed.

"I did, but this has to with after we have graduated." Jackie explained.

"You have a rich dad." Yaa Dufie pointed out. "Why are you bothered?"

"That thing doesn't matter; nowadays you need connections if you want to work anywhere favourable. And my dad may be rich, but he has nothing to do with the journalism industry."

"And who does? Who are you trying to use to get into that industry?" Olivia asked, finally interested enough to sit up and lean against the wall.

"There are these girls in my class, they call themselves the BG. As in Big Girls." Jackie offered, a bit hesitant.

"Big girls? That sounds a bit cheesy." Yaa Dufie said, she and Olivia giggling at the name.

"Cheesy or not, those girls are my passageway to get my dream job. The head of those girls' father is the CEO of Media General, the owners TV3. Once I get into their clique, I might have a higher chance of getting a job there. I just need to hang around them for these last few months, that's all."

"That makes you sound like an opportunist." Olivia eyed her. "But what happened to make your plans fail?"

"I was embarrassed. Thoroughly." Jackie sat up and launched into her story. "After class, I walked up to them. I started with little compliments, and stuff like that, then I asked to join their group. You should have seen the way they looked at me; my heart just dropped. They eyed me up-and-down, then the leader said to me in a cold voice: This is not a club and we are not receiving membership applications. Sorry." Jackie huffed and threw her head back. "And just like that, they walked away, leaving me to stand there and look like a fool."