Don't Quit Us

CHAPTER 22

CHAPTER 22

"Come on," Jay says as he grabs a rock before throwing it at the 'danger flying rocks' sign, opening a gate.

"Wish me luck," Ben says as she steps onto the first step.

"All the way up," Jay tells him.

"Good luck," Evie calls after him. Ben passes Mal on the stairs, who points him in the direction of Ellie before going downstairs to the others. Ben walks into a room covered in paintings before finding Ellie painting the wall.

"At least I don't see a picture of me with horns and a pitch fork," Ben says causing Ellie to gasp before looking at him.

"Ben," Ellie says with a shocked sigh. Ben walks towards her but she holds her hands out for him to stop.

"Ellie, I'm so sorry about our fight. It was all my fault. It... Please come home," Ben explains before holding out his ring to her.

"Ben, I am home," Ellie says as she walks towards him.

"I brought the limo. It's a sweet ride," Ben says trying to lighten the mood.

"I don't fit in like I thought I would, Ben. I really gave it my best shot. And if you think that I can change, I think you're wrong," Ellie explains her true feelings.

"Then I'll change. I'll skip school, have more fun. You know, I...I'll blow off some of my responsibilities," Ben says trying to change her mind.

"No, no! See? I'm such a terrible influence. It's only a matter of time before I do something so messed up that not only does the kingdom turn on me, but they turn on you," Ellie tells him trying to prove her point.

"Don't quit us, Ellie," Ben says as he grabs her hand before putting his ring in her palm. "The people love you. I love you. Don't you love me?" Everything in Ellie is telling her to tell him that she does but she has to do the right thing. Ellie grabs the ring before she lightly smiles as she remembers when he gave it to her, before placing it in his hand and pushing his hand back to him.

"I have to take myself out of the picture because it's what's best for you, for my sister, and it's what's best for Auradon," Ellie tells him as she holds back tears.

"Ellie, no, please," Ben says as he tries to get closer to her but she puts her hand on his chest to stop him.

"Ben... I can't do this," Ellie says before turning away from him. "You should go, Ben. Ben, please go. Please leave." Ben stares at her for a few seconds before walking away. Ellie could feel her heart breaking with each step he took away from her.

"So? Where's my sister?" Evie asks as Ben comes down the stairs before the gate closes behind him.

"She's not coming back," Ben answers her before walking away.

"What?" Evie asks not believing it. "I'll talk to her." Evie walks over to the speaker. "Sis? El, it's Evie. Let me just talk to you for a second. Ellie, come on." Ellie walks over to the speaker on her end before locking the gate. "Go away!" Ellie tells them, knowing that Evie might be the one to change her mind. "You too, Mal."

"Let's give her a couple of hours to cool off," Jay tells Evie as Mal pulls her into a hug.

"Guys! Where's Ben?" Carlos asks as he looks in the direction that Ben went.

"Ben? Ben!" Evie calls before noticing someone walking towards them. "Ben, don't scare us like that."

"Don't scare you?" Harry asks as he reveals his face. "But that's my specialty."

"Harry," Mal says with a smirk.

"What did you do with Ben?" Jay asks him.

"Oh, uh, we nicked him. Mm-hmm. Yeah. And if you want to see him again, have Ellie and Mal come to the Chip Shoppe tonight. Alone. Uma wants a little visit," Harry explains. "Aw, Jay. Seems like you've lost your touch."

"Hey!" Jay says as he starts forward but is held back by Mal. Harry walks away before they start climbing up the side.