Chapter 2 ~ Diagon Alley

"... Don't wanna be your monkey wrench, da da da, da-da, da..." I was humming along to Monkey Wrench by the Foo Fighters in my room, packing a bag ready to go to Diagon Alley with Hermione and my parents. Mum and Dad had already received a letter explaining where to go and how to exchange money into wizard currency, etc. I'd packed all the essentials, an umbrella, a bit of my own money, my phone and headphones and my favourite book - Dracula. I was now ready for the day ahead.
        "Hey, Skye. You ready to go?" Hermione peeped around my door.
        "Yep! I'm coming now." I slung my bag over my shoulder and we both made our way down the stairs and into the car. "You wanna listen to music?" I asked Hermione after she'd buckled her seatbelt.
        "Yeah! What've you got?" I scrolled through my playlists and found the one I listened to religiously... My Foo Fighters playlist. She looked at the screen and we both grinned.

*LeTimeSkip*

        "If everything could ever feel this way forever~" We were practically screaming the lyrics to Everlong when Dad pulled over and yelled to us over our singing/dying goose noises.
        "Girls! We're here!" I switched off the music and unbuckled my seatbelt, absolutely bubbling with excitement. We entered a small inn. I looked at the over-hanging sign which read 'The Leaky Cauldron'. 'The Leaky Cauldron? Cool name... I think.' I thought to myself as we walked inside. Someone who appeared to be the innkeeper started talking to Dad. He was going to show us around Diagon Alley. He led us out to the back of the inn to face a red brick wall. The innkeeper pulled out his wand and began tapping certain bricks in a certain order. And suddenly, as if I had entered a whole different magical world like Narnia, the bricks began shifting, moving, then almost morphing to each side of us, crafting a large archway leading into... Diagon Alley!         Oh, what a magnificent sight it was (and still is)! Startling colours left, right and centre, people dressed in extravagant wizarding robes, pretty little shops selling things from owls to quill pens, and at the very end of the Alley, a magnificent bank, towering over every building in all its glory.
        "Woah..." I muttered, my mouth agape and eyes full of wonder. I looked at Hermione. She had a grin that just kept growing and growing; To be honest, I thought her face might fall off, she was smiling so widely! We clasped each other's hands and ran off after the innkeeper, absolutely ecstatic to explore this new world.
        "Awww, look at the little kitty!" Hermione cooed. She was staring at a small ginger kitten with a bit of a squashed face.
        "Aww!" I chuckled and cooed at the same time.
        "Not for a couple of years, Hermione." We turned around. Her parents were there!
        "Mum! Dad!" Hermione crashed into her parents. We all chuckled lightly. "What are you doing here?"
        "We could hardly miss your first trip to Diagon Alley, now, could we?" Her mum stated, still smiling widely just like her daughter and husband.
        "Come on! We need to go to Gringotts!" My dad announced, and we all cheered and started making our way towards the bank.
After we'd made our money exchange and put money in our own vaults, Hermione and I checked our list of requirements for Hogwarts.
        "Let's see... First-year students will require:
Uniform:
Three Sets of Plain Work Robes (Black)
One Plain Pointed Hat (Black) for day wear
One Pair of Protective Gloves (dragon hide or similar)
One Winter Cloak (Black, silver fastenings)
Please note that all student's clothes should carry name-tags at all times.
Books:
The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1 by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble
Other Equipment:
1 Wand
1 Cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set of glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set of brass scales
Students may also bring an Owl, a Cat or a Toad.
PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS."
        "Cripes, that's a long list!" Hermione exclaimed.
        "Well in that case, we'd better get started!" Mrs Granger said, and we all set off to the shops, buying all that was on the list. Hermione and I had just finished with the books and now it was time to get measured for robes.
        "Ooh! Look, Madam Malkin's shop!" Hermione was absolutely bouncing with excitement.
        "Let's go!" We entered briskly, the shop bell dinging a little to announce our arrival. Inside, to our complete surprise, we saw this giant of a man with wiry, bushy hair that stuck out at all angles, with him a boy who looked to be my age with jet-black hair, green eyes and round, gold rimmed spectacles. And then on the measuring stand was a boy with bleach-blonde hair, and bright blue eyes. He was talking with the raven-haired boy. A short woman was hastily sticking pins into his robes until,
        "That's it, Mr Malfoy. You can leave now." He smirked and jumped off the stand. The black haired boy made his way to the stand. Hermione went off with one of the assistants leaving me standing like a bloody lemon in the middle of the shop. The blonde came up to me.
        "Well, hello." He said, smirking. "And who might you be?"
        "My name is Skye. Skye Winters. What's your name?" I held out my hand for him to shake. He took it.
        "I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."
        "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr Malfoy."
        "You too, Miss Winters. Going to Hogwarts too?" I nodded and he smiled a little. Then he looked over my shoulder and raised his eyebrows. "I'm very sorry Miss Winters, but I'm afraid I have to go. I look forward to seeing you at Hogwarts."
        "You too." I smiled politely at him which he returned... Then walked out the door after picking up his new robes from the counter. I watched him go, and then I was called up by Madam Malkin after the other boy was finished. I smiled at him and he smiled back as I walked past him to go stand on the measuring stand. 'I think I'm going to have a good time at Hogwarts.' I thought to myself.
        "Hogwarts, dear?" Madam Malkin asked me. I nodded in reply. She smiled and started her work.

*LeTimeSkip*

        "Hermione, have you read Magical Drafts and Potions yet? It's absolutely brilliant!" I asked her and she looked up from Hogwarts: A History, one of the extra books she bought.
        "Not yet, no. How many times have you read it already, Skar?"
        "Errm, twenty and counting I'd say. Why?" She chuckled and rolled her eyes, before going back to her book. The beginning of term was quickly approaching and I'd never felt more excited! Also, the school books were fantastic! I couldn't wait to be sorted into my house (I'd learned about them from Hermione's copy of Hogwarts: A History). I wondered if I would be in Gryffindor. Or Slytherin? 'Oh, who knows?' I thought to myself. One thing was for sure: I was about to have the time of my life in 5 days. 5 days and I'd be at Hogwarts!

____________________

A/N: Just as a quick explanation, I've decided to set my fanfiction in the 2000s era, because it's easier for me to write in a time I'm familiar with. It just felt more comfortable and easier to write and is possibly more 'relatable' for the audience this story has. Thank you, and ride on my little hobbits! Xxx

~Jess