𝖝𝖛. The Rabbit Revelation

C h a p t e r f i f t e e n . . .

As the group of sixth form students approached the quaint childcare shop nestled amidst the row of other bustling London shops, a wave of collective annoyance swept through their ranks

As the group of sixth form students approached the quaint childcare shop nestled amidst the row of other bustling London shops, a wave of collective annoyance swept through their ranks. Clad in their school uniforms, with bags slung over their shoulders and expressions laden with scepticism, they trudged along reluctantly, very much filled with resentment (and a massive sense of being pissed off!) that the baby project was becoming even worse.

Today, the school had decided to teach them about budgeting for the arrival of a child. Natalia read on the sheet that the pamphlet for today was labelled: 'all the shopping bundles you need for your own bundle of joy.' With a murmur along the lines of 'bullshit', Miss Silvers (having heard her muffled voice) not only scolded her, but also ordered her to spit out the gum she was chewing. Waiting until her teacher stopped looking, Natalia spat out the wad of Extra she had been working on into the pamphlet she held with such contempt, proceeding to scrunch it up and throw it in the next bin she saw.

Nathan, the ever-enthusiastic golden boy, bounded ahead with unbridled excitement, his steps light and eager. He seized Effy's hand, his partner in the project, and tugged her along behind him, a stark contrast to her sombre demeanour. Seeing her grimace, Natalia wanted to shout out 'preach, sister', in the vein of a Baptist minister, before deciding against it. Effy, ever the epitome of gothic melancholy, allowed herself to be pulled along, her movements sluggish and devoid of Nathan's infectious zeal.

This show of excitement (at least from Nathan) was not remotely representative of the rest of the students - especially Natalia and Abigail. Natalia, in particular, wore her disdain like a shroud, her eyes clouded with resentment as she cast a critical gaze over the shop's exterior. Abigail, though less overt in her displeasure, mirrored her friend's sentiments with a cynical smirk playing at the corners of her lips.

The shop itself exuded an air of domestic tranquility, its windows adorned with displays of plush toys, pastel-colored blankets, and rows of pristine prams lined up neatly in rows. A soft tinkling of bells sounded as the door swung open, ushering the students into a world of baby essentials.

Inside, the shop was a treasure trove of baby paraphernalia, each aisle brimming with cribs, changing tables, and an array of toys designed to stimulate young minds. Nathan darted from one display to the next, his eyes alight with excitement as he examined each item with unabashed curiosity. Effy followed at a slower pace, her movements listless as she trailed after him, her thoughts far removed from the task at hand, although her slight smiles at Nathan's behaviour suggested otherwise.

Natalia and Abigail entered the shop with a resigned sigh, their footsteps echoing softly against the polished floorboards. They exchanged a knowing glance, a silent acknowledgment of their shared distaste for the project. Brave on, soldiers, brave on! Natalia whispered to herself.