Chapter 30

Mi rayo del sol

Decision is one of the heaviest responsibility in life. As everything demands options, options require decision-making. And in decision-making lies an unseen path with multiple options of those shadows of uncertainties. As here lies the process and process will always--always a tough journey to cross.

"Thank you, Airess. For everything." a mellow voice uttered, with a solemn Christmas music filled the background. I heaved a deep sigh and cuddled myself more on the coldness of the night. I look at Cassiopeia Elizalde for a moment before turning my eyes back on what we have been staring for almost an hour now.

We are both in the middle of the crowd, wearing our winter jackets above our 5 layer inner in this cold weather, staring directly at the famous Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree of New York City.

"Anything for the Queen." I uttered, chilly smoke coming out on my breath.

We stayed still for a moment in silence amidst the noisy chattering of the surrounding, when suddenly, she broke the ice. "Why?"

"Why what?" asking, I held on to my pockets tighter. Admiring the white winter theme of the Christmas tree decorations, remembering myself on last year's Christmas, standing on the same ground, staring at the same tree but different decorations. I've been spending my past years of Christmas in this place since the day I met Cassiopeia in this same place.

It was a year after my departure in the Philippines when I happen to be in New York for a mission in the Christmas Eve when I stop by in the Time Square to walk around and kill time after an exhausting day. Sa paglalakad-lakad ko ay umabot ako sa kung nasaan ang Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, and there standing stupidly in front of the huge Christmas tree like a statue, is a girl wearing an expensive white faux fur coat and a black knee length boots. I can still remember her sorrowful eyes, staring like a bruised puppy at the Christmas lights. But not like before, I saw the change in her.

Cassiopeia used to have those innocent eyes that reflects the purity in her soul, after that night, the bright light from the Christmas tree wasn't enough to open a glimpse of light in her eyes. Her eyes screams sorrow, hate and pain. The light that was once in her eyes was darken by those emotions. And even until now, years later, time wasn't in her favor. Time didn't heal her pain, it left a scar to her that will always haunt her till now.

"Why did you let him go? I know you still love him and he loves you as endless as the sky." she said, glancing at me with tone of teasing but the eyes of envy. I raised my eyebrows at her when I first noticed the fact that she was almost looking down at me. This bitch is getting taller each year especially with those high heels in her slick boots she has been using ever since she has been living in New York like a freaking top model. Bakit nga ba hindi nalang niya gnawing career ang pagmomo-modelo total ay may laban naman siya.

I look away, glancing back at the tree as I whisper back the words that I have been telling myself for years. "Sometimes, love is just not enough, you know. Most of the time, love can be an enough reason and drive for a person to let go, don't you think?" I asked, smiling. I glance back at her in my side. She immediately look away, taken a back by what I said. Sandaling namungay ang kaniyang mata at napatulala muli sa harapan. It breaks my heart to see how she changed so much. Pain really changes people.

"You know, may anak siya pero no wifey." she choke out. Muntik ko na siyang sapakin dahil heto na naman siyang gaga siya, buti nalang ay napigilan ko ang sarili at mas minabuting mapairap nalang sa hangin.

This bitch.

"Gaga. Pakialam ko dun. Malay mo maraming pang panganay ang playboy na iyon. " sagot ko ng pabalang. Cassiopeia laugh and the next few minutes again was spent in silence. My timid laugh slowly vanish until it became a contented smile, remembering Von Khenry Montejar, the playboy city boy from Milestone University who shot me the cupids arrow.