Chapter 1

««« Chapter 1 »»»

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I bolted into the girls restroom, furiously pushing out anyone that dared to stand in my way, or would have to interrogate me. Jamming the restroom door shut, I broke down into hot tears. I was really mad, I was ashamed.

It was a slight relief as I wasn't the only one dragged into the mess we'd created upon ourselves.

I stared intently at Ella with hatred. Her eyes were puffy and a bit red. It wasn't long before students from other classes came in, filling Ope and Vicky with unnecessary queries. They were now getting on my last nerves. It was really infuriating that I had to be involved in all of these.

The saddest part was, I didn't even realize how much trouble I was in, until the principal had released his sentence.

There was no sugarcoating, and I had not even the slightest way I could think, to confess to my mom what happened. I knew I wouldn't be lucky enough if my dad were around. He would unleash his wrath, simply by using his belt, and I would have to live the scars for the rest of my social life.

My parents were strict like that.

"Sorry... stop crying you hear?." Dara held my shoulders as she sympathised. She pulled out a purple face-towel from her transparent sequinned purse and carefully dabbed the dried liquid mucous that discharged from my nose.

Earlier today, while we were all present at the assembly hall, the principal had summoned the six of us to his office. "Vicky." My voice was very low. "Yee!!, we are in trouble."

"Idiot, just calm down", Ella said. She was a little bit light toned, although ahead of everyone in class, she was popular for being the second most infamous senior in the school.

Seconds later, we received an announcement that clearly stated, the students involved during the insultfest should step forward. Never in my life had I experienced a heart attack as horrible as this. My heart was pounding oddly normal, like it would pump out if my ribcage soon. My forehead creased in worry.

I took a quick glance at Ope and Favour, while Vicky gave Ella that stare. I wiped an invisible sweat with the back of my creasy palm. At this point, I realized I had danger zoned myself. It was so surreal, I wasn't even sure I could break a sweat if I tried.

"Does she mean people that were involved in the insultfest or.. was there?", Tari asked. She was a bit dark skinned and tall, with the glorious bowlegs, though they weren't that obvious. I didn't even know if I could talk at that moment, I just stared at an innocent Tari. It was then it hit me like a 4.1km asteroid dashing from space, I should have followed her to class the other day.

I hadn't even realized the tears streaming down my cheeks until Vicky said, "You're crying." These two, though may seem really tough sometimes, were the only ones I usually hung out with. I guess I could call them my best friends.

"This one will just spoil show for us, abi you have forgotten the plan. We're supposed to lie." Ella chided. She was exceptionally funny, and very smart.

The teachers surrounded us, picking us to different corners at the assembly joint. Mrs Daniels, our schools vice principal, pulled me aside. "Tell me what really happened!"

I placed a hand at my back, as I began. "I- no- wait! Let me just say what I know!"

The fact that my vice principal was a very good friend to my mother did not help matters. That aside, I only just got admitted into the school last three months, and I called this situation, the definite opposite of what I had planned for myself.

Though I weren't speaking exact words, Mrs Daniels interrupted sharply. "What did Ella say!"

I could sense that plea for help in her eyes when I looked at her. She was at the verge of tears.

"I called you aside, because I know you wouldn't lie to me", Mrs Daniels started. "You see them", she pointed to the other five, "All except Victoria, they're no good".

Mustering up the false courage I could summon, I started blabbing. "I was not there oo, I swear I was not there. It was Ella, she was the one that was talking about the teachers. I was only listening to them. She was the one who said Mr Ali's head was shinning whenever he stood under the sun. That it shaped like coconut".

Mr Ali was our School's principal. A dark, tall bald headed man in his late fifties. Though he was a nice man, he wouldn't stand for shame in the faces of his students. His style of teaching was far different from that of the other teachers, I guess that was why some preferred him to the others.

"Ahhh!!", Ella exclaimed tearfully. "Liar, were you not the one who said that Miss Betty's butt shaped like orange!"

"Jesus."