Chapter 10

««« Chapter 10 »»»

~~~~~~~~~~

Imade hunched her shoulders towards the principal's office desk as she answered, “I’m being totally honest with you sir, it wasn't me.”

“For the last time, did you or not?”, There was a large sized book on his desk, It was a History textbook. It was mortifyingly disturbing, to say the least watch him stroke the fold edges of that particular book for hours.

“I wouldn't have anything against.. her.” Imade pointed out to him.

I looked to each minute for his dismissal. Just exactly an hour ago, I'd fully given in to Mrs Sanders’ command, like the proper, young lady that I was. Out of commission, I'd knocked my way in into this room.

Quite literally.

“Clearly.” I did a polite, less forced throat clear. That seemed to have drifted their attention.

But, I wouldn't barge in without seeking permission. He'd have no pity of my teary state, and probably I would go on a two-weeks suspension. And I would be the inspiration of mockery for offensive acts, even shocking, I would fall under the categories of schools’ most misbehaved. They'd go back to calling me Olodo Stella.

Presumably, they would never find out. They wouldn't guess, if they tried hard, not even. It was forgotten history from my old school no one would dig up all of the embarrassment, for the mean time at least. I can only hope it would stay forever.

Staring back into Mr Ali’s dull eyes, Imade pushed her chair backwards. There was this gleam behind that cold, still starey eyes, and I could only imagine her bumping her fists while she danced gleefully out of the office.

“It can't be her sir”, I spoke as I took a seat. It felt butt warm. And disgusting.

“How sure are you?” Mr Ali seized on with a stare, lapping his tight palm against his left. “And what are your problems?”

I took a deep breath. “I’m here to file a complaint against... myself.” Mr Ali chuckled at my words and arched a brow. “Go on..”

“It was a deliberate act... completely, maybe. She picked it as some sort of a huge offence and had me report my self to you.” I struggled to fit the strong feeling of anger into a smile.

His frown was replaced with an unsure smile. “Shidubem.”  He started with my name.  Very mutual in accents with Mr Samuel, like the Hausas. Like one was another's blood.

“Two times now Shidubem. Two times.” He made a hand gesture from his middle and index finger, like a peace sign.

I opened my mouth to speak, but then it closed. I gave him a firm nod. The way in which he pronounced my name, he left me rather speechless.

And probably not the best time to make a joke out of anything. I clenched my teeth firmly as made a sharp squeeze on my skin, right below my plaid school skirt. Instantly, it turned red. There was a little zit forming on my skin.

“She says I would clean the toilet stalls, t-the one's meant for the females. And.. yes that's it,” I said.

“You are free to go, if that's the case. I'll send for your parents.”

I froze instantly. I didn't think there was a need for that. “Sir?”

“What school did you attend before?” He tilted his head to a shelve behind him. It's features were in large mold and framed from wood. He ran his hand through some papers. After some moments of rummages and papers flying about, he gave up.

“I couldn't find your file, I'll check for it later. It's getting late now. Go home.”

I had to act fast. Something had to be done. My parents wouldn't even let me live if I didn't provide an explanation worth the visit. Presumably, I would get disowned or thrown out.

What would I have to live for? They strongly lived on the thought that If there were to be a report on my behalf of some sort from the school authorities, it would anything but trouble.

Buchi had greeted me with a smile as soon as I walked into the house. “You're late, that's odd.”

I walked to the living room to give him a hug. “Good afternoon brother.”

“I hope you have a reasonable explanation when she comes asking.”

My eyes widened in fear. “She’s home!?” My brother shook his head and chuckled. He jumped out from the sofa and walked towards me.

Buchi levelled before me, almost like he was squatting, only that he wasn't because he had such an exemplary body height. He was breathing heavily. “That’s nothing compared to what I found out today.”