Chapter 1: New Beginnings

Edward wanders through his home as he listens to the evening news on the television. His friends, Elizabeth and Eric, always call him an old soul. Maybe he is an old soul. He enjoys watching the news and reading old books about burning forests down and using the other animal species that still wander the Earth to do their own bidding. Edward sighs.

"I'll never be as cool as Farknew the Ferret Tamer," he says, despondent. 

He, Edward, lives a basic life. He inherited his house from his great, grandmother, who dabbled in dragon magic (something Edward does not believe in). 

One day, Edward was making instant ramen when he heard rumbling beneath his feet. He had been hearing this sound for weeks, but at this point, he didn't think twice about it, until a massive sinkhole consumed him before he could even process what was going on. Edward fell for what seemed to him as hundreds of feet. It seemed minutes passed by as he was jostled around left and right, tumbling all the way. BANG. Edward felt a searing pain on his horn. The adrenaline from the fall, however, pushed any trace of pain out of his mind.

THUNK

Edward landed face-first in a bushel of something squishy and green. Edward couldn't move, his body suddenly began to ache from the trip down. Everything went black for Edward. He woke up blinded by a blur of neon blues and greens. He couldn't see clearly and felt like his brain was pulsing. BUM. BUM. BUM. Everything went dark again.

Edward woke up once again, now able to see. He observed bright purples and blues scattered across whatever was above him. Was he in a cave? He pondered, getting up to take a gander at the surroundings. His crimson-red wings and white belly shone off the vibrant colors in such a way that they lit his entire nearby vicinity. He began walking and... SQUISH. Echoes through the cave as he steps in a moist puddle of moss. He continued through the cave, soon breaking a sweat. Even though the tunnel was at least a kilometer below the surface, it felt as if Edward were ten feet from the sun. The cave was humid with pungent moisture that flooded his lungs. ZZZzzzzzZZzzZzzzZZzzzZzzzzZzZZ. 

"What the actual heck is that!?" Edward murmurs to himself. 

A funny-looking, metallic green insect flew past his ear. Suddenly, Edward began feeling the searing pain on his horn again. He bent his ear-flaps to find that the pain was for good reason: his horn had been broken off in the fall. In his panic about his horn, he just barely missed the subtle sound of thunder humming around him, intensifying by the minute. Edward needs to escape. Now. The thunderous hum reminds him of the ones he experienced before the sinkhole. What if the tunnel collapses? He can't die yet, he's too young. He has so much to live for. What are Elizabeth and Eric thinking? Do they know he's gone? 

Edward began his search for a way out, traveling down the cave past where the mushrooms illuminated the tunnel. He plunged into the dark, not knowing what to expect.