Chapter 1

Red lights were flashing everywhere, alarms blaring so loud he thought his ears would burst, and shaking so bad everyone could barely stay on their feet.

He was terrified.

This was supposed to be a fun field trip, a chance for his class to tour the Gotham Dam and see just how it turned water into electricity. They weren't supposed to have been held hostage for five hours and have to run for their lives as bombs shook the structure and as the cops tried to catch the guys who had held them at gunpoint for five hours.

"We're almost to the exit, it's just up ahead. This way," one of the technicians that worked at the dam said as they rounded a corner and finally saw the door that would get them out of the dam. They all ran a little faster and they made it to the door, the technicians and their chaperones and teacher letting them go first before following right behind them.

"Look, over there!" A chaperone said as they spotted the gathered crowed or worried parents and first responders at the other side of the dam, and they all just bolted. All his classmates just began running towards their parents, because they were terrified. He saw the adults run past them carrying the injured, some of his classmates or their fellow workers, and they got them to the paramedics.

Half of his class and some of the workers got cut off however when a huge portion of the dam broke off, he was barely able to avoid falling through the crack when it fractured.

"Brandon!"

He turned his head and sobbed when he saw his father rush forward and embrace him in a hug, but the moment of pure relief was short lived as he heard more chunks of the dam crumble.

He spun around and gasped when he saw his best friend among his classmates still trapped on the dam, "it's gonna give!" One of the trapped technicians said in horror and he saw his fellow students begin to break down from fear, all of them except his best friend.

She was scared but she was trying to stay strong and he saw her go to a technician and tell him something while pointing to him, and the guy gasped before nodding.

"We're gonna throw the kids over the gap, you're gonna have to catch them!" He shouted over the rumbling and destruction, and some parents gasped. "That's too far of a gap, you're gonna kill them!"

He glared at the lady, "we can make the throw. This is the only chance these kids have of living through this lady, now get ready to catch!"

That shut the woman up and the firefighters rushed forward and nodded, "we're ready!" They shouted and the technicians nodded before they picked up a few of his classmates and then chucked them over the gap and to the firefighters, and he watched as his classmates screamed as they flew over the crumbling dam and explosions and right into the firefighters arms.

"We got them!" The firefighter chief shouted and the technicians nodded before they sent the next group over, leaving only themselves and his best friend stranded on the other side.

"Ok, send her over!" Shouted the chief as he got ready to catch his best friend, but before the technicians could grab her, the dam exploded right by where they were standing and the group of seven was thrown backwards. Parents screamed and his classmates gasped, "no!" They all shouted as they saw the kindest person they'd ever met lost her only hope of survival.

She stood up and he saw a gash running along side her head and it was dripping blood, "it's too big! We wouldn't be able to get her across!" A technician shouted as he peered over the gap, "no! Dad, dad there must be something you can do. We can't just let Ricci die," he said in desperation and his father looked at him solemnly. "I'm sorry son, but there's nothing we can do."