Chapter 5

She let out a frustrated growl as she got blindsided by yet another horrible nightmare, the same nightmare she always had. She also had a feeling that it wasn't an ordinary nightmare, but a memory from her missing past.

It always started off with her running, running as red light flashed and alarms blared around her. She was wearing some sort of school uniform because other faceless kids were wearing the same outfit, and the shoes made running really impractical.

She'd exit the big door and make it out of the building only to be thrown backwards from an explosion, and her hope of freedom crumbling away. She'd walk over to a nameless shadow and tell him to throw the others, but before she could be sent over, the ground explodes and she is sent hurtling over the side of the structure. She'd watch in terror as hundreds of pounds of cement and a tsunami of water crash overtop of her.

The current was so strong she was helpless in the water, desperately trying to get above the water and too air. She'd get pulled further and further down as the need to breath increased till water began flooding her lungs and making them burn. Then something big would fall on her torso and drag her straight down to the ground where she would be trapped underneath the heavy object as water continued to fill her lungs.

She would then be unable to move and just sway in the water as everything grew darker and darker, till she felt nothing.

She sat up and walked over to the cliff she was sleeping near and sat down on the edge of it, and she stared up at the stars that were shining brightly above her. She tried in a vain attempt to remember who her parents were, who her family was, and where she came from but it ended like it always did. With nothing, not a single memory from her life before the Shadows could be found in her head and it devastated her that she couldn't recall who she was.

Who was she before she was the Siren?

-0-0-0-

The team was in Blüdheaven because they'd gotten a tip that the Shadows were gonna be at the Blüdheaven docks, so they were tasked to stop whatever was happening.

They were not prepared however, to find Sirenă standing alone atop one of the warehouses at the docks facing the ground below like a hawk. So they got out of the Bioship and slowly approached her from behind, she didn't turn around but they knew she knew they were there because she stiffened.

"You heroes are quite predictable," she said as she kept her eyes on the ground down below. The team shared nervous glances, but Artemis took a step forward.

"You know, it is possible to leave the Shadows." She said and the girl scoffed, "I owe the Shadows my life. I took an oath to obey the will of Ras Ah'Ghoul, and I have done so without fail ever since. I have been cleansing the vile filth from the planet for three years, and I have been making the world a better place by getting rid of them.

Even though I've always been sent to kill the evil and the corrupted on this planet, never have I been sent to kill children. Let alone children who choose to go out and help others without asking for something in return, it is hard to fathom what I must do."

They all shared uneasy glances and Artemis took another step forward, "you don't have to be a killer. You don't have to listen to the Shadows, we can help you escape them." She said and the girl turned around and faced them, her hood drawn high and casting a shadow over her masked face.

"I may be a shadow, but I do not kill like they do." She said venomously, "never have I raised a weapon against another living soul in the attempt to take their life. Never have I used poison to end a persons life, I have never used any violent or cruel means of ending a parsons life to complete my missions."