Chapter 2

Artemis had just gotten home from a long mission with the team when she got a bad feeling in her gut, so she cautiously opened the door to her room and immediately drew her bow. Slowly walking in, she kept her bow up and ready to fire at a split second notice.

However after she walked fully into the room, her door swung closed behind her.

She spun around and let the arrow fly, but gasped when it was caught in the hand of her sister. While Jade normally would've been mocking her about not noticing her sooner, she saw genuine fear in her sisters eyes.

"Jade?!? What are you doing here?" She asked and Jade sighed and let the arrow fall to the ground, "you need to be careful Artemis. The Shadows have sent someone after you and your team, and they have orders to kill you."

Artemis raised an eyebrow, "so, you're scared for me now? Jade, me and my team have beaten every shadow that's come to get us, we will get this one too." However Jade shook her head no and made a double arm chopping motion, "no. You don't get it sis, they sent the deadliest assassin after you and your team. Even I am cautious when near them," and that caused Artemis to freeze.

"Wait, you are scared of this guy?" She asked incredulously and Jade surged forward and placed both hands on her sisters shoulders, "yes Artemis. I am scared of this shadow and only this shadow, because they never fail. They've received training from Lady Shiva, Deathstroke, Sensei, Talia Al'Ghoul, and Ras Al'Ghoul himself. They are even unknown by both Inter-gang and the Justice League, that's how good they are."

That made Artemis pale, because she could not only see the truthfulness in her sisters eyes, but she could tell her sister was dead ass serious about this threat. Those names, one doesn't just throw them around lightly, they were threats by themselves, and she didn't want to know what kinda threat they posed together.

"Ok, so maybe I believe you. But Jade, how can I be careful when I don't know what I'm supposed to be careful about?" She asked her sister, and her sister handed her a thumb drive and she then pointed to her bed. "I've gotten everything I could about them and their MO, even gave you hard copies of everything so you won't think I'm trying to track you because I'm not, I'm trying to protect you."

Artemis glanced at her sisters bed and gasped when she saw five boxes filled to the brim with files, "oh my god." She breathed and Jade sighed and turned her gaze from the boxes and to her face. "Artemis, this shadow is known as Sirenă. Translated that means the Siren, and she does not have that name for nothing." Artemis gulped as her sister handed her another thumb drive, "this assassin always sings a specific song to her targets before she kill them. She doesn't even use weapons, Artemis she kills a person by stopping their heart by putting pressure here for ten seconds."

Jade pointed to a part of her hand and Artemis gasped, "and her targets are always asleep from her song so they don't even notice her putting pressure to their hand, it's an instant and painless death."

Artemis was white, "you have to get this information to Batman. You have to share the information with your team, before it's too late."

Artemis nodded her head and Jade sighed, "good. Now I must be going if I'm going to keep attention off of me, so please, listen to me this time Artemis. This is a battle you won't be able to win, I love you."

"I love you too Jade," she said as she watched her sister vanish in a cloud of smoke.

-0-0-0-

The next day she was sitting on her bed and using her computer to check out the information her sister gave her on the assassin sent after her and her team, and she found something interesting while looking through the information.

"What's this?" She muttered as she clicked the video that was labeled Tibet, and her eyes widened as the video showed of a man in an ornate office doing paperwork. Then as the breeze began to blow, she heard one of the most beautiful voices vocalizing a harmony before the sound of a harp began to play as the words became clear to understand.

'Lay down your head and I'll sing you a lullaby,
Back to the years of loo-li lai-lay,
And I'll sing you to sleep and I'll sing you tomorrow.
Bless you with love for the road that you go

May you sail far to the far fields of fortune,
With diamonds and pearls at your head and your feet,
And may you need never to banish misfortune.
May you find kindness in all that you meet.

May there always be angels to watch over you,
To guide you each step of the way.
To guard you and keep you safe from all harm,
Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay.'

Her eyes widened as the man stood up from his desk and walked over to the fireplace and put the fire out, before he sat down on his couch and stared at the dying embers of his fire. All while the sound of a violin playing was consuming her hearing, but then the singing accompaniment started up again.

'May you bring love and may you bring happiness,
Be loved in return to the end of your days.
Now fall off to sleep, I'm not meaning to keep you.
I'll just sit for a while and sing loo-li, lai-lay.

May there always be angels to watch over you,
To guide you each step of the way.
To guard you and keep you safe from all harm,
Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay.

Loo-li, loo-li, lai-lay...'

Artemis was cupping her hands over her mouth as she watched a small body basically materialize out from the shadow in the far corner of the room, and slowly walk towards the body of the sleeping man.

They knelt next to the man and gently put pressure to the specific spot on his hand for ten seconds before they let go and stood up. She watched in terror as the figure pressed two of their fingers against the main artery in his neck and then slowly move their hand away from it and gently closing the man's eyes, then they lowered their hood, which revealed long feminine black hair with a red ribbon in it that was braided in a French braid, and placed a gentle almost caring kiss upon the guy's forehead before pulling her hood back on and then silently fleeing through the window.

She knew that Batman needed to get this information now, so she bolted to her feet and grabbed everything Jade gave her and rushed off to the Cave. Where she put the files in her room and then headed to look for Batman or Brandon. However her search was cut short when the caves internal com went off.

'Team, report for mission briefing.'

She sighed before she rushed off to get to the mission briefing, "hopefully this will be a quick mission." She muttered as she arrived at the mission briefing with the rest of the team.

"Team, we've received information form a reliable source that clues regarding the destruction of Gotham Dam five years ago might be found in the forests of Blüdheaven. Roughly a hundred miles from the location of where the dam used to be, and forty miles past the boarder between the two cities." Artemis and Batguy gasped in shock, "your mission is to search this area and see if any clues still can be found."

They nodded and then rushed off to change, and all other thoughts slipped her mind as she rushed off to change for the mission. It was easy to understand when you remember that she was from Gotham, a part of Gotham that had been supported by Richelle Wayne before she vanished.

This was personal, and she had promised herself that she would do anything she could to figure out what happened that day at that dam.