Chapter 2

It was as if a single breath could pass through this moment and be noticed. I could feel my heart beat in my chest for what was merely a second.  

The bell rang and the teacher gave a deep scowl. "We'll continue tomorrow." The class then erupted into chatter as they made their way out. Ryan excused himself, breaking our focus. I look up, baffled. Although, it's not like we have any time to talk about it. 

Zayne stands and makes a swift exit as I stand with Meggan. Throwing our notebooks into our bags, we walk speedily to our next class. Meg is silent the entire way and I can't help but to wonder what this reaction is all about. 

We go the rest of the day, running in separate directions. Lunch time rolled around and I sat at our table alone, gazing out of the windows into the light of the day. With a deep intake of breath, I chose not to go to my last three classes of the day. I would just make it up later.

Stepping into the fresh air, I sighed softly. The clouds danced in the sky as the trees swayed along side them. I plugged in my wireless headphones to listen to Flowers ft Nori as I walked along the long stretch of sidewalk. Trees rose high into the sky and houses seemed sparse. But, somehow, I always felt safe like someone good was watching over me. 

As I walked along a flock of birds took flight into the sky, their tail of black wings spiraling downward through the sky above me. A brown tabby cat poked his head around the side of one of the trees. It looked both ways, tentatively, before running off towards a house. I laughed at this and really did feel better. Staying stuck inside too much is never a good idea...

I soon came up to our small community of Wisteria Place and rounded the corner at it's large entrance sign. Making my way home, I got some odd looks from some of the neighbors. A lady who seemed to be weeding her garden looked up at me as I passed but went back to her work. I think her name might be Ms. Sarah. She's an artist... never mind that. 

Now that I think of it, Mom may chew me out for walking all this way... and for skipping school. I guess that'll be one more thing to deal with. I cut off my tunes as I walk up to my house. Turning the lock, I notice that my dad is already home. As I walk in, I leave my shoes on the shoe-shelf by the door. Dad's office is right next to the shelves and I peak in to see him on the phone. He doesn't even notice me as I walk past to go get a snack. I grab an apple and make my way towards the stairs. I'm about to climb to the second step when I overhear my dad say something that makes my jaw drop. 

"No, John, we haven't told Jade anything yet." ... "I know. I know, it gets harder with each passing year... But Clarissa and I decided that she would be told everything on her eighteenth birthday." He adds this and I step down from the stairs and turn around to sit on them. I take a small bite as I hear some very audible exasperated yelling from the other side of the line. "I get that you don't think it's fair to her, mom!" My dad says, almost yelling. "I'm sorry. Clarissa just wanted her to be ours. To not feel that gaping hole that a lot of adopted kids say they feel."

At this point, I don't know how but I've come to stand in the doorway. Tears streaming down my face, I drop my apple. Dad looks up and the shock of what just happened registers clearly on his face. "Jade..." He nearly whispers. I turn and run up the stairs as fast as I can while my dad yells after me. I slam the door to my room and, locking it, I slide down onto the floor. I lay there sobbing for hours. I even hear my mom come home and the yelling that ensues between my parents. 

Day soon succumbs to night and somehow I have found my way up off the floor and onto the computer to do some research. A knock at my door comes at around six thirty post meridian and my mom's voice follows it.

"Honey, you should eat something. I know it's been a tough day... Maybe we could talk about it?" She said softly from behind my door. 

I wiped away my tears and stood. Unlocking my door, I didn't know how I would feel. Soon I found myself in a mess of emotions again and crying in the arms of my mom. "Why? Why didn't you tell me?" 

"I don't know if I can answer that anymore. At first? It was because we didn't want you to hurt. We wanted you to live as normally as possible..." Mom explained. 

"Hurt? Live... Normally?" I ask through hiccups. 

"Let's talk more about it over dinner, yes?" Mom suggested, beckoning me to follow her down the stairs. I stay a step behind her as we descend and I feel like a total mess. As we make it into the dining room, soft ambient music plays as dad sets the table for us. 

"Can I help with anything?" I ask as dad looks up. His expression lightens and he seems relieved to see me emerge from my room.

"Oh, not much, really. There's a pitcher of passion fruit juice that still needs to be put on the table, though." He says as he continues to fold the napkins and put them in their places. I grab the pitcher and set in on the table as the timer goes off and Dad turns to take something out of the oven. 

Mom goes to the fridge to check on something and smiles as she closes the door. "The Jell-O is ready, thankfully."

Dad laughs. "I don't think we've ever gotten Jell-O to cool at the right time to have it after dinner like this." 

At this I find myself laughing as well. "Remember when I left it on the counter over night that one time..." 

Everyone laughs as Mom and I sit down and Dad sets a baked head of cauliflower in the middle of the table. The familiar warmth of the kitchen and dining area is comforting along with the soft hum of the music dad has on. 

We eat and joke for awhile to ease the atmosphere even further. Once we have the Jell-O in front of us, topped with loads of whipped crème, my parents turn to me.

"Well... What questions do you have for us, my dear?" My mom pipes up. I pause and wonder for a moment.

"So, I am Adopted?" I say wanting further confirmation than just eavesdropping. They nod in unison and I lower my spoon. 

"What do you know about my biological parents? What happened to put me here?" I ask and it's my dad's turn to clear his throat. 

"Do you remember learning about the villages in school?" He asks although I hadn't wanted a question in return for a question.

"Yes... That is where some of the Native peoples of this land live. They like to live off of the land and away from technology." I say although I don't understand where he's going with this. 

"Well, there was a village not too far off from here. It wasn't very long ago. One day, they were attacked by.. we don't know what attacked them.. but a fire ensued and you could see it from miles and miles away. Only four children survived it. Somehow, without being too burned. You, Jade, were one of those four children." My Dad explains.

"We... think your dreams are just your mind trying to remind you of what happened. I'm sorry we didn't say so sooner." Mom adds.

I sit for a moment in shock and then dad coughs to add one more detail.

"I was the doctor who over-saw your recovery. It was in the hospital that my wife and I decided to adopt you." He said with a smile. Love for his family shining in his eyes.

I smile but then look at the two of them in concern. "Why didn't you have any kids of your own?" I ask.

"Oh... We're not... capable.." Mom says sadly but then she lights up. "But you have given us the blessing of being able to be parents. You are my child and you will always be my beautiful, talented daughter!" She says. 

I feel at ease and more loved than ever somehow. We soon move on and decide to have a family movie night and as we watch Maximum Ride, I can't help but to feel as though a door I've yet to discover has been opened. ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading! Please comment to tell me how you're liking the story so far!

HM