Chapter One

It was an hour till midnight when I got the call that would change my life.

There I was, lounging on the couch, bingeing on Stranger Things, with a bowl of pretzels in hand and a bag of sour straps in the other, like a complete and utter slob. My best (and only, I have to admit) friend, Kellen, was spread-eagled next to me, his eyes widening with terror as soon as anything remotely scary would happen. I scolded him for being a wuss and threw a bunch of pretzels into my mouth, watching as he popped open a can of Coke and downed it like one does a glass of water. I would grin every time he let out a tiny whimper when something bloody would happen, and he would punch me in the arm playfully.

Kellen was like my brother. I had moved in with him when I was eleven after I was rejected by yet another foster home and his massive, insane family had been silly enough to adopt me. Kellen had two mums, Himara and Jeanne, three big brothers, Emery, Maxwell and Jake, two big sisters, Ashley and Lili, and one little brother, Taiga. We also lived with his two uncles, five aunts and little old grandmother in a relatively small house, so we usually never had any time to be alone together. 

Jeanne walked into the living room and told us to turn the sound down because Taiga was trying to get to sleep and Lili had threatened to roundhouse Kellen in the face (which she can actually do, that girl is a machine) because she was studying and wanted quiet. I grinned and rested my head on his arm, patting him on the back while he let out a little screech. Eleven was murdering someone and that was why. I laughed at him and stuffed my face with sour straps. 

Just then, the telltale DO DO DO DO DO DO DO of my ringtone broke through the screams and pleads of the TV. I paused it and looked at my vibrating phone, the caller Unknown. I put it onto speaker and told Kellen to be quiet and said, "Hello?"

"Hello... is this Kira Akiro-Bardasen?" said an oddly-familiar male voice into the receiver. I had two last names because my first orphanage, Bardasen Orphanage, named all of the kids after it. The Akiro part of my name came from Kellen's family, who were half-Japanese. 

"Yes," I said. "Who is this?"

"It's... you may of heard of me, my name is Bruce Banner, and I am calling you on behalf of the Avengers Initiative about something you may be interested in." the voice said.

I gasped. Kellen gasped too and I heard Jeanne drop the pans in the kitchen. From upstairs, I heard Jake let out a massive exclamation (it might have been a fart) and he immediately rushed downstairs to hear me with the rest of the Akiro squad, including Himara holding a sleepy Taiga, who started to yawn but was silenced. Everyone huddled around my phone, and I stammered into the receiver, "y-yes?"

"Well, the rest of the Avengers and I were impressed by your science fair project," Bruce Banner, otherwise known as the massive green guy the Hulk, said. "We want to offer you an internship with us where you will learn about skills and aspects involved in becoming one of us... an Avenger."

Ashley squealed. I shushed her and said excitedly, pretty sure this was all a very elaborate prank, "I would love to, Mr Banner! This is such an amazing opportunity... but first I have a question for you." I couldn't believe I could keep such a steady tone throughout this - my entire body was trembling. Kellen squeezed my hand and Taiga scrambled onto my lap.

"Ask away, Kira, ask away," Mr Banner chuckled. "And please, call me Bruce."

I swallowed and asked, my voice croaky, "how should I know this isn't a scam and you're here to kidnap me or do something gross?"

My entire adopted family gasped in shock. Mr Banner's voice was deadly serious as he said, "look out of your window. You will see one of Tony Stark's drones hovering there. We've been watching you, Kira, and we're very impressed. You're one smart kid."

Himara, always the softer one, pressed a kiss to my temple and whispered, "he's right." I couldn't stop smiling as I pulled back the blinds of the window and gasped as I saw one of Tony Stark's telltale red drones hovering in the nighttime rain outside. I gave a little wave and smiled at the camera, saying into my phone, "can you see me?"

"Yep," Mr Banner - um, Bruce - certified. "I'm waving back, but you can't see me."

I let out a laugh and spun around. "Oh my goodness," I exclaimed, pulling in Lili and Ashley for a hug, then going to hug the four Akiro boys. "Then yes. Yes, I would love to be your intern!"

"That's awesome, Kira," Bruce said, the tone of his voice letting me know that he was smiling. "We will have a private jet ready for you first thing tomorrow."

I squealed, feeling very silly but also very happy. Himara and Jeanne gave me a massive squishy hug and Taiga pulled at the leg of my jeans, saying, "Kira's going to be an Avenger!"

"Not an Avenger," I blushed, knowing that Bruce could still hear me. "An Avenger intern."

"Same thing!" yelled Kellen, barrelling into me and lifting me into his arms. "You're gonna be an Avenger, Kira!" I returned the embrace and smiled, feeling the happiest I'd felt in my entire life.

"I'm going to sign off now," said Bruce. "But I will see you tomorrow morning. Goodbye Kira."

"Bye!" I said excitedly, pressing the hang-up button on my phone. 

My entire family began to squeal and embrace me, jumping up and down in a squishy Akiro hug. I laughed freely, knowing that in but a few hours, I would be an Avenger.

                                                                                             Kellen

                                                                                             Kellen

                                                                                             Me (Kira)   

                                                                                             Me (Kira)