Chapter Forty-Four

The power surged like an ocean around us as me and my sisters sped through the walls of the mall, blasting through roofs, spraying debris everywhere in our wakes. We ignored the cries of the people below us because in a few seconds, they'd have a lot more to worry about than three flying girls.

We blasted through the top roof, glass spraying everywhere like shards of shrapnel. The sky was dark - an inky black void, but there was a single star glittering in the distance, getting ever closer.

Only it wasn't a star: it was a missile.

Holly, Evie and I looked at each other and something sparked between us, merging our consciousnesses until we weren't three girls, we were just one - the first Evelina. I could feel Evie's joy and sweetness, Holly's ambition and bravery, and my intelligence and determination all in the back of my brain, like three little voices telling me what to do and how to do it. It was almost as if Evie was the angel on my right shoulder, Holly the devil on my left: and me as the one in the middle, keeping them from fighting and destroying.

We all nodded consecutively, and propelled into the sky, with only one thought clear in our minds: stop the missile.

It was getting ever closer, lighting up like a match on its impact through the atmosphere. Fire trailed from its behind, huge dark clouds of smoke billowing out of it like a chimney, only this chimney was a gigantic missile aimed at an Irish mall about to kill thousands of people if we didn't stop it. It was gigantic - easily the size of the Avengers Tower, and when we were about a hundred feet away from it did we realise the impact it was going to have on us.

"It's too big," Evie screamed.

"We can stop it," Holly yelled back, not slowing in her pursuit, Evie and I close behind.

"Whatever it takes," I whispered.

The missile was looming above us, casting a huge shadow over the entire city of Galway. I could hear people screaming from below, but from up here in the sky they looked like little ants, scuttling and hurrying around, trying to escape. I could feel all of our fear - Evie's pure, fresh dread, Holly's quiet, horrified terror, and my - well, I was just plain scared, there was no other word for it. We all moved closer together, forming a barrier, and felt the power flood out of us in electrifying waves, which smashed into the missile at an impossible speed.

The missile kept on coming, and when we realised our powers alone wouldn't be able to stop it, we began to move up to it, slamming our hands into its peak, using all of our super strength combined to hold it back. I could actually feel it working - my muscles were screaming in agony and I hadn't felt this much pain in all of the fifteen years I'd been alive on this earth, but it was working.

Holly, Evie and I used our strength and power to push the missile back, forcing pressure upon its tip. Honey-coloured clouds spun around us and the sky was full of fire, blazing and burning. I could see the mall and city getting ever closer to us and the screams of the people below got even louder. The missile wasn't stopping - it was slowing, yes, but it wasn't stopping. Holly, Evie and I met each other's eyes and, yet again, something sparked between us, and we immediately knew what we had to do.

One of us had to take the missile back up into the sky.

And it had to be me.

And we only had ten seconds left.

"Kira, no," I heard Evie say, but I ignored her. 

Nine.

Putting all my strength onto the missile, I started to force it up into the slowly darkening sky. My sisters followed me, panic flooding their faces. "Kira, don't!" Evie repeated.