Chapter 19

Maddy, Steve and Bucky reach the stairs, they head back down but another explosion blocked their way... they head back up, spotting a catwalk above them.

They quickly race up the stairs... only to find Schmidt on the other side.

"Captain America. Miss America. How exciting!" Schmidt paused... staring at Maddy.

"I'm a fan of the films," Schmidt continued.

"Well maybe after I kick your ass.... I may give you an autograph," Maddy snarled.

Schmidt walks forwards... soon Maddy started to walk towards him, both studying each other.

"So the old man managed it after all. Not quite an improvement... but impressive," Schmidt said.

Maddy hits Schmidt in the jaw, sending him reeling.

"You've got no idea," Maddy smirked.

Schmidt straightens up.... strangely pleased.

"Do I?" Schmidt smiled.

Schmidt swings.... but Maddy blocks it with her arms, Maddy steps back... completely surprised at how strong he was, she looked up at him... only to see his fist coming for her face.

Schmidt hits her... causing her to fall down, she quickly stands up... feeling something run down her face, she brought her hand up and wiped her face.... only to see blood.

"Erskine said your experiment was a failure," Steve said from behind.

Schmidt looks over Maddy's shoulder to look at Steve.... Maddy quickly brought her foot up and kicked Schmidt in the jaw.

Schmidt tumbles to the floor... Maddy backs up, seeing a man scrambled up to the catwalk controls....a gap suddenly appeared between Schmidt and Maddy.

Maddy noticed something red.... Schmidt started to peel off his face from the bone, revealing a red skull underneath.

"A failure? Oh no Captain..." Schmidt paused... standing up.

"I was his greatest success," Schmidt smiled..

Maddy stares in disbelief...

"More like success gone bad," Maddy mumbled.

"Please tell me you both don't have one of those?" Bucky asked.

Maddy turns around looking at Bucky... who is staring back at her with worry in his eyes.

She turns back around, only to see Schmidt throwing his mask away... they all watch it waft into flames.

"You both are liars... you both pretend to be a simple soldier, but in reality you both are just to damn afraid to admit that we've left humanity behind," Schmidt grinned.

Another explosion rocks beneath them... Maddy stumbles back into a pair of arms, she turns her head and saw Bucky...

"Unlike you both, I have embraced it proudly. Without the mesquerade..... without fear," Schmidt continued.

"Then why are you running," Steve said.

Schmidt smiled and turns on his heels... walking towards the elevator. It quickly opened.

Maddy, Steve and Bucky watch as Schmidt disappears behind the elevator doors.

Maddy steps back pulling Bucky with her as the explosion rocks the catwalk... she looks around... looking for a way out.

"Look!" Steve said pointing to a gantry above them.

Maddy looked down, feeling something in her hand... she smiled when she saw that it was Bucky's hand, she tightly squeezed it... before pulling her hand away.