thirteen - viii

i beg of you, please.
CIGARETTES AFTER SEX - K.

"Y/n where the hell have you been?!" Victoria stomped over to me, her face fuming. I tried to look away or turn somewhere else but she caught up to me. "Hello?! Are you ignoring me now?!" She pulled me by the arm and I gave out a tiny wince. "Sorry, Vic. I've been busy doing-"

"Doing what?! Nathan?!" I looked at her stunned and almost gagged, "Jesus Christ, Vic! Fuck no! I was just dealing with some people." She eyed me cautiously, as if saying I was doing something illegal. I shrugged her hand off and sighed, "Look, I'm sorry I haven't hanged out with you, but I'm still adjusting to all this and you have your posse looking out for you. We'll hang some other time." 

She relaxed and so did I, thinking I could escape but before I could walk away, she pulled me to the main building and into the classroom and sat my ass down. What's with the aggression? I thought to myself. "At least attend classes, Mark's giving a huge assignment today so quit being a rebel." Victoria walked to her seat and I sighed, she wasn't wrong, so I sat and waited for class to start.

Max came in a little later, looking sleep deprived as ever. She took a seat behind me and I turned to her, "Sup, Caulfuck?" She smiled a bit and massaged her temples before responding, "I feel like something big's gonna happen today. I saw Kate being confronted by Madsen." 

"She looked so scared out of her mind." Max continued, "That is so fucked up." She nodded, I looked outside the classroom to see Kate talking to Mr. Jefferson, she looked upset while he was just calm. She stormed off after the conversation. I'll text her later.

Mr. Jefferson finally came in and let out an exasperated sigh, "Alright, class. As we all know we have the competition on going, but I'd like to have a side project up as well." 

"Boo! That's fucking lame!" I objected, everyone in class snickered while Mr Jefferson could only shoot me a glare as he continued. I grinned as he went on about portfolios and meeting the pros, but my mind was preoccupied by something awful. Something that hasn't happened in a shit long while. I felt myself tic as I subconsciously start scratching my arm. My nails dug at the skin, causing them to redden. I started to panic as I feel myself bubble up with discomfort. 

"Shit!" I screamed as I stood up from my seat and kick my table down. My manic laughter burst out before I could even see it coming. I looked around me, my classmates giving me weird, horrified stares, although Victoria was more amused than horrified. "(Y/n) is something the matt-" 

Mr. Jefferson was cut off as a student came in and shrieked, "KATE'S ON THE FUCKING ROOF!" Everyone froze up but I didn't, I bolted out of the room as quick as I could, my stomach clenching. I didn't know what was happening, first my outburst now Kate trying to kill herself?

I involuntarily kicked down a nearby trash can as I got out of the building. I ran to where the crowd was, looking up at Kate's tiny figure, unsteady on the roof. I sprint into the building, not caring about the screams after me. My heart was beating like a train pounding on the tracks. Legs wobbling as I kept on fighting against time and the flight of stairs. I prayed to whatever god was out there to help me make it in time.

But alas, fate is a rather cruel force. 

Just then, a crow came in through the window as shrill screams and gasps of terror erupt from the outside. I feel tears prickle the corner of my eyes as my legs finally gave out. I was too late. Too fucking late. 

Tears finally flooded down my cheeks as I panted. The ungodly mixture of sweat and tears was not a sight to behold. I fell to my knees and began to shake uncontrollably. Kate. Poor Kate. My knuckles whitened as I gripped the banister. I couldn't do anything anymore. I couldn't help her. She was gone. She was fucking-

A gust of wind flew by me. I opened my eyes to see the crow slowly retreating backwards. My eyes widened at this as I suddenly remember.

"Max." 

I look out the window to see Max struggling as she made her way towards the building. More tears flowed down my cheeks seeing this. I called to her, "MAX YOU BEAUTIFUL SON OF A BITCH!" I was about to run down but she called out, "Keep going! Hold the door for me or something, just get to Kate!" I nodded and wobbled up the staircase, my breath hitching for more times than I could tolerate.

I get to the roof to see Kate's back turned to me, I started to bawl my eyes out. It was surreal, everything. I felt guilt stab me sharper than any knife could, the fact I couldn't talk to her as much, or follow her advice, or even just getting to know her better. I wasn't able to do that. A string of curses left my mouth as I stood there, unable to do anything.

I hear Max's foot steps start to become louder, hope was once again present as I walked down to her, "Max! Max! Oh, god, Max she's up there and she's- she's gonna fucking- Max please help her please." She looked dizzy and held my shoulder. "Help me save her." 

I felt an invisible hand choke me as she said those words. I felt all color drain from me, fear striking in, worse than anything. I shook my head, "I can't Max. I'm sorry but I really fucking can't." Nausea rose to the occasion as I felt vile start to bubble in my throat. "(Y/n), please. I can't do this alone. Kate needs us now more than ever." 

The choice is yours, (Y/n). All yours. Will you help save Kate?